Chapter 19: Investigation

Detective Ridley sat in her office, pouring over the case files on Kate Saunders and Raymond Decker,starring at the grisly crime scene photos and going over the list of evidence that had been taken from each murder.

CSI had found traces of sand in the bloody shoe prints the killer left behind at each murder. There were also foreign skin cells found under the victims fingernails, but analysis of said cells produced odd findings, as the cells came from a decomposing body.

"Hell, I hope we aren't dealing with some asshole who wears people's faces or something," Victoria muttered to herself. She knew that was the shit you saw happen in horror movies, but real life rarely saw such things brought to life. Shaking her head, she tossed the files aside and pulled up the rap sheet for one Howie Ingram.

According to reports, Howie had gotten violent since his brother's death. Several incidents of drunken disputes, aggravated assault and petty theft. On one such arrest, Howie had told a bar full of patrons that his brother's killers would pay for what they had done. Now living as a property caretaker, he had the motive and opportunity to carry out the murders.

Staring at Howie's mugshot, Victoria said, "Mr. Ingram, I think we need to have a little chat." She printed out his rap sheet, and walked over to the makeshift crime board she'd created, pinning his file in the center, and making him her top priority.