Chapter 22: Preparations

Howie Ingram walked through the recently lock picked door of Greg Simpson's apartment, taking in the smells of spilt beer and greasy fast-food wrappers. He grimaced at the rancid smell of puke that wafted into his face as he quietly shut the door. He had watched Greg stumble out of the apartment an hour ago, and had waited to make sure he didn't return prematurely. One look around the apartment told Howie all he needed to know about his brother's killer. The man was a drunken loser, and he was going to be doing this waste of space a favor by killing him.

Making sure his gloves were on tight, he rubbed his hands along the stained wood furniture lining the small living room. Faded posters for long-forgotten baseball heroes adorned the walls of the halls, and one look in the kitchen told Howie that Greg stuck to a mostly liquid diet. Shaking his head, he told himself not to get caught up in the disgruntled life of an out-of-work high school and focus on his mission.

Howie made his way into the bathroom, searching for his prize. The bathroom was rancid, but Howie would not be deterred, and as he searched the sink, he finally found what he was looking for. Sitting in a paper cup was an old, used toothbrush, primed with Greg Simpson's DNA. The ritual required a link to the victim, and as he had done with both Kate Saunders and Raymond Decker, he had acquired his prize.

"Tonight, you die, Greg Simpson. My brother will get much needed revenge, and I will feel your blood running down my brother's arms as he rips you limb from fucking limb!" Howie shouted as he glared at the toothbrush. "Tonight, the ringleader dies, and then I move onto the harlot who led to my brother's downfall. It's all coming together now. Years of planning is finally coming together..." Howie mused on his plans, and smiled.