Chapter 5: Consequences

Ella and Nina had ran all the way from her dorm room, ignoring the annoyed shouts from others they ran past or pushed aside. Her heart was pounding out of her chest, but her mind had only one thought running through it: get to Andrew. It was six o'clock when they rounded the corner of Lexington and Fifth, but they saw it was too late. He'd either arrived on time or a minute early, for the prank had commenced, and her heart sank into her stomach.

"Oh god no," she muttered. Her heart jumping into her throat, she tried to move to Andrew, who's back was to her, but her feet, (which a second ago had been lighter than air as she ran), now seemed to be weighed down by concrete, as was her body. The cold not only penetrated her clothes, but her heart as well. She watched helplessly as Andrew was humiliated, and then he began to back into the street. Her eyes widened in horror as she saw him backing away, straight into the path of a silver car.

"Andrew, watch out!" someone shouted, and she took off like a rocket, trying to catch him before the worst happened. Time seemed to slow down, for she took note of everything around her. Nina stood behind her, caught in mid-scream and tears in her eyes as she watched the scene unfold. Greg was doubled over and laughing, with Kate laughing next to him, and wearing Ella's favorite mint-green dress. She spotted Raymond leaping over a table and running just like her to get to Andrew, making her think for a brief second he must have seen the car as well. Then there was Andrew, the adorable face she'd fallen for nearly burnt red from embarrassment and a horrified look on his face.

She took note of all of this, and then suddenly time sped up, forcing her to watch in horror as the vehicle bore down on Andrew. Tires screeched and glass shattered as Andrew was struck, his body first seeming to stick to the car, then flying through the air as the vehicle stopped. She could hear screaming off in the distance, but soon she realized it was her, her cries of terror reaching a glass-shattering pitch. Andrew landed with a bone-shattering thud in the street, blood caking his face and his eyes wide with shock. The car had stopped, but before she or Raymond reached Andrew, it took off again, the driver either afraid or not caring to stick around.

"Andrew!" she shouted, running to him and kneeling at his body. She leaned down and touched his face, and then pulled away in shock as hot, sticky blood coated her hands.

"Oh shit, Andrew..." Raymond began to say, standing over them with his hands on his head and a wild look in his eyes.

"Someone call 911!" Nina shouted, running over to meet them in the street.

"Oh god, what did we do!" someone shouted, (probably Kate, Ella would think later).

"Shut up and let's get the fuck out of here," Greg shouted.

"Andrew, talk to me please," Ella said with tears in her eyes. Andrew breathed shallowly, a wheeze making it sound like he had swallowed a whistle. Ella would later learn one of his ribs had punctured his left lung. This would make sense, since he also began to cough a copious amount of blood out. Ella leaned into Andrew, cradling his head in her hands and crying.

"Oh god, I'm so sorry Andrew. I had no idea what they were planning. I swear it, I had no fucking idea. Please stay with me. I love you!" Ella was shouting now, trying to get Andrew to hear her. Unfortunately, she would never know, for as she held him, his hand clutching her shirt, he lost his grip, and soon the harsh breathing just stopped. Her heart shattered into pieces, and Raymond and Nina stood around her as she cried, holding Andrew's body in her arms.