23

Important A/N at the end of chapter!

I registered his face in a blur.

Stephen.

I uttered his name and it felt foreign on my tongue, like an uninvited guest.

"I have to leave," I turned myself around and quickly went to return the way I had came.

"Wait- Cody,"

I was stumbling down the stairs as quickly as I could, already feeling the burning of tears just behind my eyes, I hated this place, and I hated him. Two years, I hadn't seen his face in two years, and now- now of all time, he decided to just show up again. A mix of emotions were pulsing through my brain, but I couldn't pay attention to any of them, except devastating sadness.

"Cody, stop!" His voice rang out from behind me and I felt myself stop. For the second time in the past day my actions were completely out of my control.

I slowly turned around. I tried to control my breathing as it was shaky.

I was already halfway down the stairs and he was still standing on the second story. I had to cram my neck to look up at him.

He looked just as I had remembered him.

His good looks- even in the freaking zombie apocalypse- hadn't deserted him. His flannel was open, revealing a grey tank top underneath. His arms were slightly open, as if he were expecting a hug.

"We're over Stephen, and nothing in the whole world is going to change that." I snapped up at him, now paying attention to the brutal desperation pulsing through my veins.
I tried to appear fiery and confident, but those two emotions were the last things I felt. If there was any doubt about me leaving this place, it was certainly gone now. I had to leave, forever. His face fell and he began to move forward.

"Stop! Please!" I heard him shout. I was already turned around and running down the steps, even jumping the last four. I ignored the buckling sensation my knees cried out, and kept running.

I ran across the Square and approached the building my room was located in.

I wasn't looking were I was going and-

"Hey!" I was slammed backwards as I collided with another body- a much taller body. I felt the wind knocked out of me as I landed straight on my ass.

"Oh my God! I'm so sorry!" My vision cleared and I saw a flustered old man knocked down right across from me.

Great job Cody, go and spit on a puppy while you're at it.

I scrambled to my feet and stumbled over to the man and offered my hand.

"I'm so sorry I wasn't paying attention!" I slowly helped him up and got a good look at him.

He was balding and had heavy bags around his eyes. He was tall and thin, and I wondered how much food these people got fed. There were a lot of people and I couldn't imagine there were many crops and animals left to eat.

"Are you okay, sir?"

His eyes were blankly searching my face. He let out a low grunt and continued looking at me.

Oh my God was he having a stroke?!

"Hello?" I waved my hang timidly around his face, careful not to get too close.

His jaw opened slowly and clamped is shut quickly and his teeth made that terrible chomping sound. I backed away involuntarily.

I knew old people could be weird but that was borderline insane.