6

I almost let out a scream when I hit the top of the shelf below me.

I slowly peeped open my eyes.

Oh my God! I wasn't dead? I felt a tugging at my hands and realized something was grabbing me.

I sat up and saw that I had landed on top of one of the shelfs that showcased the snacks, but around those shelfs, was a group of zombies. I quickly stood up, but I could feel them clawing at my shoes.

I was frozen in fear. I literally could not move. Their eyes stared at me with such greed I had to look away.

"Cody!" Addy called from the ceiling,
"Climb back up if you can!"

I looked back up at the hole I had fallen from and saw that it was flimsy and unstable. I couldn't risk bringing Addy down with my attempt to get back up.

"I don't want you to fall!" I exclaimed

One of the zombies fell to the ground.
My head darted around, trying to find the one who had fired the shot that sent the zombie to the floor.

Another fell.

The zombies around it didn't seem to notice. Who was there? I looked at Addy for answers, but she was grinning and shaking her head, as if this were something she should've expected.

Another fell. Then another.

With each one that was brought down, more seemed to notice. If that was possible. My eyes found their way to the popcorn machine, and inside it was 10k.

Now granted, it was a pretty huge popcorn machine, but he was still crouched inside like a ninja. I burst into laughter at the sight! He had opened the sliding glass you open to get popcorn, and climbed inside! He was awkwardly trying to avoid the big bin that actually cooked the popcorn, he looked so out of place! But why had he chosen the popcorn machine?

A zombie turned its head to him, and started to amble over. More followed in its footsteps.
10k has obviously prepared for this. He jumped from the popcorn machine and onto a shelf, like I had. (Unintentionally of course, but it still counted!)

Soon, I was left alone and the zombie hoard was after him. One of them grabbed his ankle, and he fell on his butt, his weapon flying into the sea of undead.

Before I could even process what was happening I heard myself shouting something.

"Hey uglies!" I yelled

They turned around, stupidly and slow, as if unsure which one was the easier target.

"Come and get me!"

I hopped down from the shelf and sprinted out the door, my knees buckled slightly from the fall. I stumbled to the door, unsure if they would even follow me.

I slammed the door behind me, but it was reopened seconds later. I heard uneasy legs stumble after me, but they were sure to pick up speed. Two things I was sure of.

1. They were definitely following me.

2. This was a fucking stupid idea.

I pumped my arms by my side to pick up speed, but my lungs were already aching from the dusty air that was being quickly forced in and out of my lungs.

I heard the peel of tires from behind me. A vehicle was catching up with me, and fast. What the hell? Was someone trying to run me over as well?

I whipped my head around and saw the black van from Warren's group and Mack was hanging out the window, reaching for me. The van pulled up beside me.

He flung the door open and reached out both his hands. This was a nearly impossible task, even though the car itself was only driving about five miles an hour.

I mustered up all my strength and lunged for the van, my arms outstretched. If I missed, or he let go of me, I would fall back into the crowd of zombies and die. So, yeah...a lot at stake here.

I felt his grimy hands grab mine and I was pulled into the back seat. Immediately, all faces turned to mine.

"Where's Addy and 10k?" They all simultaneously asked. Warren glanced at me from the rearview mirror. Mack reached over and slammed the door closed, and we sped away from the zombies, safe for now.

"I left them at the gas station-"

"What?!"

"What the hell-"

"Cody!"

"I was leading them away from 10k and Addy! Addy and I had climbed through the ceiling but it busted and I fell onto a shelf. And then out of nowhere 10k was shooting at them, but they cornered him..."

They just stared.

"And I didn't have a weapon...so I ran." I finished lamely.

Cassandra shook her head and looked at me.

"10k does stuff like that sometimes."

"The kids a wild card. That's for sure." Doc agreed from the front seat

"Are we not gonna go back for them?" Mack raised his voice. I was right beside him so it struck me as particularly loud. I winced slightly. He was definitely thinking of Addy. I felt a the romantic gooey side of me flare up.

It was never a side of me that I was very proud of, and I rarely indulged it. But Addy and Mack brought it out in me.

"Don't worry sweetheart, we're going back, but we're gonna lead these Z's away first." Murphy spoke up from the third row.

I turned around and chuckled when I saw that he was sitting alone, and gazing out the window. He looked like a scolded child. He caught me staring and stuck his tongue out. I smiled and turned around, just giddy with relief that I hadn't died.

A girl always remembers her first near death experience.

-