Six - To Fix A Friend

The next morning, long story short we failed again to kill Lloyd, and I explained everything to Ghoultar and Bansha.

"I think we're part of some...master plan of some sort."

"That wouldn't make sense... 'You and your friends are his latest victims.' But... We didn't die because someone murdered us," Bansha observed.

"Maybe killer was behind our deaths anyway," Ghoultar said.

"That may be true..." I said.

That's when we all heard a door shut and lock.

The supply closet.

I approached the door quietly and put my ear up to the door.

"Aye, dumb rope... Why must it be so difficult to tie a knot with these blasted robot hands?"

Soul Archer.

"Ah, there we go. Now, where was that hook... There it is."

What was he doing in there? Rope? Hook? Knot?

"This will show you all that I can perfectly well end the pain that I've been through, skallywags—ugh! Dumb pirate voice! At least I can control it..."

End the pain...?

That was when reality hit me like a brick to the face.

He was going to hang himself.

Ghoultar and Bansha had managed to sneak into the Guard's office and steal a few paperclips. I bent one and shoved it into the lock. In a few short moments (that felt like hours at the time), I was able to open the door.

Soul Archer looked at us with a glare that was different from what we were used to. His normal gaze used to be full of happiness and wisdom.

What we got was pain and sorrow.

He stood atop a stool with his neck through the loop; we had made it just in time.

He slipped the noose off his neck and stepped down.

He said nothing.

He walked over to me and looked me in the eye.

He said nothing.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

"I'm sorry."

And with that came probably the biggest and most loving hug of my life. (Afterlife? After-afterlife? I don't know.)

"I shouldn't have left you alone, buddy."

"I wish you'd snapped some sense into me. I'm the asshole here. P-please... Morro..."

"Shhh... It's okay buddy. Tomorrow is another day. I promise, I will fix everything. I will fix you."

"Thank you... So much. You have no idea how much that means to me."

"...I love you, buddy."

"I love you too, best friend."

And that's how we got our Soul Archer back.

Two chapters in one night. How's that for now? Good? Good. I'm tired. Tomorrow's Friday. I'm happy. Soul Archer's happy. Morro's happy. Everyone is happy.