Chapter 1

Robyn Sarina Santino

To say that I was tired was an understatement. I was completely drained after staying up all night to finish this 10-page essay for English class. I know my teacher planned on torturing us with this, especially since this is basically our last month here. Next month, me and my fellow seniors will be the graduating class of 2011 from Gramercy Robins High School, one of the most prestigious schools in the whole New York State. I was so happy that high school was about to be over. 4 years in that hellhole was enough and I wanted to get out of there as fast as I could. I was anticipating the day I would go to college ever since I started middle school. Lucky for me, I got accepted to 5 of the 8 Ivy League schools in the country, which was way more than I can say for the other students that went here. I couldn't have been more proud of myself. I wished my family could say the same. With all of the shit that was going on at home, I was surprised that I was able to keep up with my grades.

Born into a Black-Italian mob family with a not so great history, life wasn't all peaches especially with my fathers hot temper. We didn't always get along but I loved my family no matter what others said or what we went through. My family, were not that popular in the Black-Italian mob families circle. Because of the things that we were involved in, we were definitely on all of the other families radars. Yes, I was well aware of what we were apart of since I knew how to talk and knew about all the things my family, the notorious Santinos, did. From money laundering to gambling to drug trafficking to robbery. Anything you can think of we most likely did it. We also had other legitimate businesses such as cleaners, barber shops and even a few strip clubs but of course we had these so it could cover up what we were actually doing.

My father, Robert, is a defense attorney at a good law firm that made a good amount of money but he didn't always do a good job when handling cases. I'm surprised they still kept him after all these years. My mom Olivya is a child psychologist who works from home. Since we live in a 10,000 square foot mansion with a bunch rooms, my mom has her own section of the house that's specifically for business. Our relationship is okay but she tends to always side with my father even when he's wrong. She likes to keep up appearances but doesn't have much of a social life considering who she's married to. I also have a little sister named Renalda but we call her Ren or Renny. She's in the first grade and looks so much like me that people often mistake her to be my daughter. Other than that, I can say life is pretty good for me right now.

After school was over, I met up with my best friend Yasmin in front of the school like we always did. She had a big smile displayed on her face which alerted me that she was up to or found out something.

"Guess who found us a couple hot dates to prom?," she said proudly as soon as I approached her

"You didn't?"

She nodded her head and smiled even more, "I did. Thomas Evans and David Lewis will be attending prom with two of the beautifulest girls in the whole school."