Chapter 25: Child of Death

Start from the beginning

"Yes Mitéra." She blinked fear still potent in her eyes.

"There was once a woman who foresaw the future, particularly death. This woman was no ordinary woman, as she was a Goddess. She is our mother, our Isis. She cared for nothing, but for the well-being of her husband and child...and for love. Love is stronger than anything in the world my love. It is the root of hatred, envy, and passion. All of which caused Isis' family to fall apart. But at the same time, it was her love that reunited it all.

You see, when Set, her brother, killed her brother-husband Osiris, he banished her son, Horus, to live in isolation. To be like Egypt, isolated, but strong. Set cut Osiris body and spread it through the world, never ever to be found by his son and wife. Set also took away Horus' eyes, so he was no longer the powerful God, but a blind one. Osiris controlled the underworld, then and it would be that way forever, until his wife became brave and saved her son. With her son, she overthrew the mighty Set, and established him as King of the Gods. But he is not the best of the Gods, she is. She is the strongest; she is the most enduring. Because she...she is the mother.

Mothers are strong, my love, regardless of what fathers may think. They can strive through more labor than any man; they only need to show it."

"But," she whimpered, "you are not a Goddess."

I narrowed my eyes at her, "No but I am a child of one, as are you. And I am strong, like many mothers. I will not die, Alexandria, that is the point. Dreams are dreams, they will not happen."

Alexandria's large green eyes blinked slowly at me, as slow as if I were watching the shadow move across the sundial. She murmured, "I pray to the Gods, they will not take you from me. If they do...I will hate that thing inside you forever."

Slightly alarmed, I masked my fear and kissed my daughter's forehead before dismissing myself into the hall. "Kalinychta (good night)." I uttered silently before walking through the wooden doors and into the depth of the hallway.

I made my way back into the library where the red-headed guardian sat down looking quite satisfied.

I grinned scanning through the different scrolls, searching for a Grecian play. "Why are you so smug?" I questioned, glancing at his youthful face.

"Hmm," he looked at his fingers, "I do not know. Perhaps because the princess has become a mother, the mother has become a queen, and the queen is beginning to fulfill the Goddess's destiny."

"Are you toying with me?"

"On the contrary," Rocco grinned, "I'm complimenting you."

"Where is my brother?"

The tone of his voice turned serious. "I cannot say." His eyes hid from my scrutiny, and I looked away, but lingered. I was a tigress and he was my unsuspecting prey.

It was silent.

"Rocco."

"I will not say."

"You will," I commanded, "I am the Queen."

"And I am the son of Hades," his pale blue eyes pierced my soul and sent lighting to echo between the solid walls. "I can kill you."

I looked at him, "You won't."

"Is that a challenge?"

"It is a fact." I reprimanded, "you do not decide my fate. I do."

"The Gods do."

"No." I glared, "I do. I decide whether or not I want to die or continue to live."

"So is having another baby one of your protests? You are thirty year old, you will most likely die birthing that child."