The splintered wood creaks and breaks further as the person gets up. "That was cute," I hear Derek scoff. There's more snarling, deeper in tone now, so I'm guessing that both of them have shifted into their wolf forms to fight.

I wave my hands to get their attention. "Jesus Christ, stop beating each other up! Haven't either of you heard about the word 'diplomacy'?"

My words are immediately dismissed, because sounds of battle echo throughout the ruined house and I can tell that Scott's losing horribly by his grunts and groans. I try to shuffle out of the way when the noises draw closer, and fear courses through my blood at the thought of accidentally getting caught in their stupid fight.

Suddenly, Derek's cologne infiltrates my senses, and my head is slightly thrown back as my body is lifted and carried somewhere else. My feet touch the ground, then I receive a gentle caress on my cheek and soothing words. "I'm sorry, Mia, stay here," the older werewolf pleads.

My breath feels like it has left my lungs, and I'm left reeling once again by Derek's affection. Could I even call it affection, or pity? I don't know, and I don't care; Derek Hale just frickin' carried me. Leave me alone to fangirl for a couple hours.

I don't realize the supernatural brawl has ended until Derek's voice rings out clearly over Scott's tired pants. "I didn't kill him. Neither of us did. It's not your fault, and it's not mine."

"This? This is all your fault!" Scott blames. "You ruined my life!"

"No, I didn't," Derek negates.

"You're the one who bit me."

"No, I'm not."

My eyes widen, and once I reach both males, I stutter out, "What?!" in the exact surprised tone as my cousin.

"I'm not the one that bit you," Derek repeats.

My mind whirls. If Derek didn't bite Scott, then that means... "Holy shit, there's another," I gasp. Wow, and I thought this couldn't get any worse!

"It's called an Alpha," the wolf clarifies. "It's the most dangerous of our kind. You and I, Scott, we're Betas. This thing is more powerful, more animal than either of us. My sister came here looking for him. Now I'm trying to find him. But I don't think I can do it without you."

"Why me?" Scott asks just as anxiously as I feel.

"Because he's the one that bit you. You're part of his pack." Derek lets out a little sigh. "It's you, Scott. You're the one he wants."

I can't believe this. My palms begin to sweat nervously, and I rub them against the fabric of my shorts before running them through my hair desperately. "Just lovely," I call out to the boys. "You know what? I'm just gonna go home, eat ice cream, and pretend neither of you exist before I have a panic attack." I raise both hands (which are shaking, by the way) in a peace sign. "McCall out."

I don't even wait for a reply, 'cause I'm out the door and down the porch steps in record time.

"If Derek isn't the Alpha, if he's not the one who bit you, then who did?"

The next day during English class, Scott and I tell our best friend everything we learned from Derek the night before. I feel hungover (not that I actually know what that feels like), and my head is buried safely in the cave I made with my arms on top of my desk.

"We don't know," Scott sighs.

"Did the Alpha kill the bus driver?" Stiles questions.

"We don't know."