best friend

I pray for all your love,

Girl our love is so unreal

I just wanna reach and touch you, squeeze you,

Somebody pinch me.

This is something like a movie

But I don't know how it ends girl

When I fell in love with my best friend

____

There are those friends.

Friends who you've lived most of your life with. Friends who are there for you all the time. Friends that know you more than you know yourself.

And there are also so many what if's and could be's that come with these friends. And after hours upon hours of research and googling and thinking (although it was mostly google, with little distractions along the way) I've summarised all these possibilities into four simple sentences.

A. You two will end up together.

B. You two will share this mutual platonic love.

C. One of you will suffer have unrequited feelings towards the other, or..

D. Something happened and you two aren't on very good terms anymore.

It's like a multiple choice test, really. Which one is it for you, Ryan? Choose the letter of your answer. Encircle it, shade it, write it on the space before the number. Whatever.

The first time I had been presented with the question, I chose B without a second thought, and it was over. Done with. That easily.

But now, as I'm looking at myself in the mirror and asking myself again, I'm sure the answer is C, now matter how much I wanted it to be A. It hurts. It really really really hurts, but I know my feelings are unrequited.

Teacher, give me an A+ and a smiley face stamp on my hand for being so honest and being in pain because of it.

My phone rings and I put it to my ear and ask, "Hello, is this a text?" It's silent on the other side and I take it and enter the password, and read the message.

It's from Sean. Who had probably just arrived home from some blind date he had.

Dude, I'm so tired.

Of course, you've been running through my mind all day, backspace backspace. Dumb move. He'd get weirded out.

Tiring date? I reply instead, and I sit back on my bed as I wait for his reply.

Yeah, haha. But it was nice.

She must be so lucky to have you liking her. I groan and delete the whole message again, and I just keep on staring at the message, not very sure how to respond to that one without feeling like a jealous someone who is in love with his best friend.

Like seriously. I'm not. WTF. Ew. No.

I quickly reply, you like her?

Pretty soon my phone vibrates in my hand again.

Yeah. I guess, haha. Why

My chest feels heavy, and there's hurt. There's no jealousy, no anger. (Why woukd I be jealous if he doesn't belong to me?) The only thing I feel is loss, and a dull ache and some sort of emptiness.

He texts again.

Wbu Ry? Do you like anyone?

*love. I love someone. Not like.