Fifty six missed calls.

Two hundred and thirty seven texts.

Forty nine voice mails.

All from Jack.

I shook my head and dumped my phone into my bag before I blew a sharp whistle, to signal Shadow and Mochi over. They obeyed in an instant, the two by my side with these tiny little body gestures that tell me they are happy. How cute.

"Hey guys. We're going home now." I told them, to which they replied with a bark and a squeak.

As I headed towards the exit, nurses, colleagues, and owners of patients waved at me, which I returned. I pet a few dogs and cats who came up to me, and even rubbed a young potbelly pig, who was there for his routine check up. Things were peaceful, like any other day at work and I am grateful. There were no hiccups, no disturbances, no thoughts of Jack or anything. I concentrated and worked my ass off like I usually do and I am content with a satisfying, hard day of work.

Of course that all ended when I entered the lobby where the exit was and was stopped in my tracks by a voice I didn't want to hear.

"Sky!"

Imagine one of those scenes in horror movies where the victim slowly turns around as the stereotypical background music's tempo begins to quicken in pace and the killer walks up to you with a knife in hand and gleeful smile pasted on their lips. It's not the same, but it feels like it. I watched with horror and despair as Jack got up from one of the many seats provided in the lobby and came over to me. He looked as manicured as usual with his non-wrinkled expensive suit, shoes polished to shine like a diamond, hair combed back without a strand out of place, and freshly shaven.

I quickened my pace to the exit, wanting desperately to disappear right now. I don't want to face him, it's still too fresh, raw. Never in my life would I think he would ambush me at my own workplace, but that's another thing I didn't know about him. And I begin to wonder if I knew him at all, if everything he has shown me as well as what I thought I knew of him, was a lie. It's possible.

"Wait up! Sky!" I can hear his footsteps following me at a quick pace.

I felt his hand brush the sleeve of my doctor's coat, so I yanked it away before he could grasp it. Shadow didn't like Jack's proximity and picked up on my distress of his presence. He growled low in his throat, the sound compared to rolling thunder. His hackles rose as he stood in between Jack and I, protecting me from the 'danger', which is sort of true. Mochi perched himself on my shoulder, assessing the situation, like a hawk.

Jack backed up, staring at Shadow with fear. His Adam's apple bobbed, a sign of him gulping as he glanced at me to do something. I wanted to ignore everything that is happening, feigning ignorance, but like the good person I was raised to be, I called Shadow off, rubbing the back of his obsidian furred neck soothingly. He complied, but continued to growl low in his throat, warning Jack that if he makes one small mistake, blood will fly.

Jack eyed Shadow warily, not relaxing one bit, but I didn't care if he was uncomfortable. "Where were you the last few days? Why didn't you answer any of my texts or calls?" He asked me, frowning.

I crossed my arms. "I was busy."

"So busy you weren't at your apartment at all?" He shot back, raising an eyebrow at me.

I rolled my eyes and sighed. "I don't think it's any of your business anymore."

"Of course it's my business. I'm your lover." He said, as if everything was all fine and dandy.

"Ex-lover now. Why don't you go back to your fuck buddy and leave me the hell alone." I seethed at him, getting angry at what he just said. How dare he imply that he's still my lover when he cheated on me behind my back, and in front of my face. I don't need evidence when I saw the crime all in full color and with front seats too.

Jack brushed his hair back, frustrated. "You are being ridiculous."

My jaw hit the floor. "I'm being ridiculous?" I said incredulously. Are you serious? He's the one who cheated on me and he's calling me being ridiculous. What did I ever see in this guy? "Forget it. If you're going to be this delusional that about us still being together, then I will say this is so a two year old can understand: We are over. O.V.E.R. I don't want to hear your excuses about you and your fuck buddy, nor do I want to hear anything about there being an 'us'." I turned and started for the exit. I ignored the curious eyes that followed me as I made it through the glass, motion-sensored doors.