[01] - feelings of inadequacy

So this is it

So this is it.

In front of her was a large dark metal statue, the bolts extremely visible from Tony's place 30 feet from the object. The statue was to depict Victor Von Doom, a man who had attended MIT and was now extremely wealthy from his company Von Doom Industries. Tony had only heard small stories of Mr. Von Doom from her friend and boss, Doctor Reed Richards, but his best friend Ben Grimm told her the "truth" as he put it.

That Victor was an asshole.

Still, after being turned down by NASA for Doctor Richards's plan to further help future generations, the three adults stood looking at the large statue.

"Typical of Victor Von Doom to build a 30 foot statue of himself." Ben said, also looking up at the black hunk of metal standing before them. Ben was a tall man, sporting a shaved head and wearing a beige turtle neck and a green overcoat. Ben is an astronaut that works for NASA and is trying to help his buddy Reed with his project. Reed, who was dressed in a casual yet professional looking suit and had his black hair in a neat business like manner, responded without taking his eyes away from the statue.

"Well, it's obviously aimed at first-time visitors to create feelings of smallness; inadequacy." Reed's voice seem to have gotten smaller through his explanation,  the nerves settling in.

Ben looked at his friend before smiling and stating, "Good thing it ain't working." Reed turned to him and gave a nervous smile. Tony, who had been watching, smiled to herself before grabbing the briefcase holding the presentation out of Doctor Richards's hand. He looked quickly over to the red head who was also dressed quite professionally in a white sleeveless button up collared shirt with black dress pants and black heels.

"You ready Doctor Richards?" Tony asked with the smile still on her face. Reed looked up at the statue one more time before nodding and starting the walk into the building. Ben followed the two scientists, a question popping in his head.

"Reed, what are we doing here? This guy is fast-food, strip-mall science?"

"This wasn't our first stop, in case you forgot. Besides, Victor's not that bad. He's just a little...larger than life."

The three made their way into the building and up into the elevator where they reached the floor they would be talking to Victor Von Doom on. Tony and Reed set up the presentation and soon enough, Victor walked into the room, he didn't acknowledge the group till he sat at the head of the table across the large conference room and waved his hand at Reed to start.

"My research suggests that exposure to a high-energy cosmic storm borne on solar winds might have triggered the evolution of early planetary life." Reed explained, his 3-D model presentation showing the solar system and his findings. Ben and Tony stood off to the edge and watched Reed explain his proposal to the business man. "In six weeks, another cloud with the same elemental profile will pass Earth's orbit. A study conducted in space; could fundamentally advance our knowledge about the structure of the human genome, cure countless diseases, extend human life, give kids the chance to live longer, stronger, healthier-"