Chapter 4

10am. Recess time. Everyone was walking out of the class now , presumably with those that used to be in the same class as them. Hana took out her lunchbox and headed down to the canteen. On her way down, she tried to hide her lunchbox. It was embarrassing. Everyone was either holding their wallets or their water bottles and here she was holding her lunchbox. Maybe she should have went down via another staircase with less people. It wasn't that her mum had forced her to take this lunchbox. It was just that Hana had being bringing bread to school everyday since she started primary school. It was kind of like her habit. And she hated the long queues at the canteen during recess. Because it was a common break time so everyone would be at the canteen together. So there was just too many people and Hana didn't want to queue. Plus, recess time was just 30 minutes. She had to eat obviously. Who knows, by the time she bought her food, she might barely have the time to eat.

Right now, there was another problem. She was all alone. Bernice had gone off to find her friends and Hana didn't have any. She didn't like being alone. She didn't want to sit with others she didn't know. She didn't want to be near the kind of guys who looked and acted like gangsters and constantly sweared. They scared her because they would obviously judge her. Hana finally found a small corner at the side of the canteen and stood there alone, eating her bread. She quickly ate, glancing around as she did. She didn't like people to see her alone. 

After she finished, she walked around the canteen, trying to pass time. Then, she saw Claire. She was with the group of nice girls from her previous class. Claire had joined their clique when she abandoned Hana. Hana saw that Claire was chatting happily with them. Hana was envious but at the same time, she returned to the thought of why Claire didn't want to talk to her anymore. Maybe she ask Raudah, one of the her previous classmates whom Claire had confided into the last time they fought. Well, maybe not now. Because she could see Raudah was also with her friends too. She would talk to Raudah if she gets the chance. But now, Hana really wanted the bell to ring. It was embarrassing, being alone. She constantly pretended that she was looking for her friends when she was just walking aimlessly in the canteen. Maybe she should go back to class. Yes, that's what she should have done earlier. She could at least immerse herself in the book she brought to school.

Hana went up to class and sat down at her desk. They weren't many people around, just a few guys and girls chatting in their own clique. She took out her book and tried to read it. She didn't care if people thought she was nerdy or what. She just didn't want to look lonely. But as  she read, Hana couldn't help but to eavesdrop a little on the conversations around her. Apparently, there was this new girl in class, Carrie, that came from another school. It seems that she was kind of bullied back in her school and chose to transfer here. That was interesting. Something interesting in her own life, Hana thought. 

As the time came closer and closer to the end of recess, more and more people were beginning to come back to class. Hana was glad that so far, no one had bothered to talk to her. She didn't know what to say if they came to talk to her. Bernice had just come back to class. She glanced at Hana and said, "Such a bookworm. Reading on the first day of school?"

Hana forced a slight smile and said, "No, I just didn't have anything to do."

Honestly, Hana was kind of hurt that Bernice actually said that. It's not as if she didn't know what Hana was like. 

As if she sensed what Hana felt, Bernice laughed and said, "Chill, I was just joking hahaha."

Just as Hana was about to reply, an Indian girl with slightly curly black hair and spectacles came over and said, "Hi, I'm Sasha. What are your names? I know the names of all the girls in class except you two."

"I'm Bernice," Bernice replied immediately. 

"And you?" Sasha asked Hana.

"Hana." Hana replied.

"I'm sorry?" Sasha said. 

"Hana." Hana said a little louder than before. 

"Ok, got it."Sasha said. She gave them a little smile and went to join a bunch of girls.

Wow. That was what Hana thought after Sasha left. I mean, who gets to know the names of all the girls in class in just an hour or two? She must be a very outgoing person, Hana thought.

The bell finally rang. Everyone went back to their seats and waited for Miss Oh to come. A few minutes later, she came into class and said, "I hope you all have gotten to know some of your new classmates. Now, I'm going to rearrange your seats."

Some of Hana's classmates groaned. Hana hated this too. She had no doubt where she would end up. The usual first row.  And she was dreading the awkwardness with whoever that was going to be sitting beside her. 

"So first, is there anyone who can't see if they sit at the back?" Miss Oh continued. 

Hana looked around as some of her classmates did. There were only a couple of hands raised. 

"Ok, now pack your bags and go out to line up according to your height. For those that raised their hands just now, you don't have to line up, just stand at the door. " Miss Oh said. 

As she finished speaking, everyone began packing their bags and trudged towards the door. Gosh, Hana hated this moment too. She knew she was freaking short and she no doubt would end up in front. Gosh, she so hated her height. 149cm! For God's sake! She can't understand why she wasn't growing like how everyone is. She can't she get taller. She didn't like being short. And true enough, she ended up in front. Right at the front. Seriously?! Everyone must have grown during the holidays otherwise she wouldn't end up being the shortest in class. Urgh, Hana groaned inwardly.

After everyone was being allocated to their new seats, Hana found herself sitting beside Sasha. It won't that awkward as she thought though, partly because Sasha was quite an extrovert. And she found out that Sasha was really talkative. Hana learnt that Sasha was from India and was here on a scholars programme. Sasha was talking most of time so all Hana could do was to force a smile or pretend she was 'wowed' appropriately

And then came the stupid ice-breaking games. Again. Why do they have to keep playing this kind of stupid games when it's always the same old games? Hana thought. But she didn't have a choice though. She was part of the class so she had to join these games. Hana sat beside Sasha as everyone gathers in a circle and was trying to decide what games to play. 

They played games for almost two hours. Ok, Hana had to admit. It was kind of fun. But she didn't want to do this again. Though the games, she had managed to learn a few more names and found out who the more outgoing people were. 

Hana looked at her watch. Less than 10 minutes left to the end of the day, she thought. 

Just then, Miss Oh called for attention and said, " One last thing to say before I let you guys go. Now that you all know each other better, we'll have to elect the class committee. I just wanted to ask if you guys want to do it tomorrow or next week?"

A chorus of "next week" was heard.

"Ok,then we'll do it next week." Miss Oh said. "In the meantime, we need a temporary chairman for the class. I'm just going to pick someone by alphatbetical order, ok? So, tomorrow, Andrea will be the chairperson. Is that ok with you, Andrea?"

Andrea nodded as Hana and her whole class turned to look at her. 

Rrrrrrrinnggg! The bell rang. Finally! Hana thought as she quickly packed her bag and followed everyone out. The day was finally over. She could finally go back to her safe haven, her room. She couldn't wait to go home.