Chapter 9 - Looks Can Be Deceiving

"Right," said Thomas, "we all know what we're looking for?" It had taken just under an hour to get here, Bradley speeding all the way of course. We'd decided to go in pairs so that we can split up and be quicker in the supermarket so that we can get back for some food. Me and Thomas were paired up, I had a suspicion that its due to my lack of combat knowledge and the fact that Thomas seemed more than capable to babysit while Alex and Bradley could handle their own.

"Well," said Thomas, "where to first?" Mary had written out a list of everything we needed to get while we were out here that'll last us a few weeks at least. When we split into pairs we ripped the list in half and the others went on their way. I looked at the list I'd been handed; it seemed to be mainly first aid supplies and there was some fruit and veg at the bottom which I suppose carried on to the list Alex had taken.

"Pharmacy," I handed Thomas the list, "we'll probably run into the others half way through." Thomas nodded and headed towards the right hand side of the supermarket, I followed behind, looking over my shoulder every few seconds in paranoia.

"They're not stalkers you know," said Thomas as he turned around to face me. "You don't have to keep looking back, you'll hear them before they get close enough to do you any harm."

"How did you k-"

"What? You think I don't notice these things? You've been doing it since we first picked you up." I didn't realise that Thomas paid attention to that, I guess he was sceptical about me and Mac when he first picked us up. "You don't have to worry Euna," he put his hand on my shoulder, "I'm here to protect you guys," he flashed me a grin as he turned and carried on walking. That was the second time I've been told I'll be protected in the same day; I know I'm not the strongest but I don't need to be babysat.

We'd picked up the first few things on the list, it was mostly first aid supplies and vitamin supplements, and we started making our way towards the food area when we heard something.

"What was that?" I'd stopped in my tracks. "It sounded close." Thomas didn't reply,  and instead  decided to walk towards where the sound had come from, I didn't want to be left alone so I followed him down the aisle being careful not to make a noise.

Thomas turned the corner and dropped down to a crouch immediately, I followed his actions and stayed behind him, turning the bat in my hands, getting ready incase I had to use it. He put one hand behind him without moving his gaze and put a finger up telling me  to wait here, he moved forward, hands raised blocking his face and being ready to throw a punch. I went closer to the corner to peer round and see what - or who - he was walking towards.

It was a boy. I couldn't tell from here if he was infected or not because he was facing the other was, I guessed he wasn't due to the fact that he was standing at the edge of the aisle stuffing his bag with tinned food, clearing the shelf. He must not of noticed Thomas come up behind him because the next thing he knew he was on the ground, his bag wide open dropped to the floor.

Thomas covered the boys mouth to silence a scream and looked back at me, motioning with his head for me to come over. I stood and did as I was ordered. Thomas pushed the boy to the floor making him fall rather ungracefully onto his rear end. He opened his mouth to speak but Thomas cut him off before he had a chance.

"How many of you are there?" Thomas asked in a hushed yet stern voice, it was one I hadn't heard, and honestly was shocked to hear come out of someone who seemed like the kindest person I've met so far. The boy didn't speak, he just sat there, wide eyed, mouth open, Thomas grabbed the bat from my hand and used it to push the boys bottom jaw back up to where it should rest. You could see the fear in his eyes, I couldn't really blame him, I hadn't noticed before but Thomas can look quite threatening when he wants to. He's rather tall and didn't exactly look weak, rather the opposite.

"I asked you a question."