Chapter 13 - Man Down

Everything went in slow motion. I dropped my bat and ran to kneel at her side immediately. Bradley ran to Carter, ripped the gun from his hand and emptied the magazine. The floor was covered in blood, only this time it wasn't the infected's.

Thomas took off the flannel shirt that he wore over his t-shirt, scrunched it up and held it to Alex's side in a desperate attempt to stop her bleeding.

"We need to move her," Bradley said walking over to us, "Thomas you know we can't stay here now, more of them are coming, they would of heard the shots and can smell her blood from a mile away in every direction." Thomas didn't look at Bradley, he didn't look anywhere apart from Alex, he carefully slid one arm under her shoulders and one under her legs.

"I'm sorry" he muttered through gritted teeth before slowly picking Alex up and standing. She winced when she was lifted off if the ground and held the shirt on her side harder.

Bradley headed towards the truck, giving me Carter's gun as he passed me. It was heavier than it looked, even when empty. I wasn't sure if the weight of it in my hand was comforting or more worrying, either way, I was glad it wasn't loaded.

I picked up what supplies were on the ground around us, collected by the others, there was too much for me to carry alone, but Carter saw what I was doing and him and his sister helped carry the rest to the truck with me.

Bradley was already in the drivers seat and was ready to go, Thomas was in the truck bed holding Alex like she was a part of him.

"Carter you take shotgun," I didn't think Thomas would react kindly to sharing the truck bed with the guy that shot his girlfriend - well, I assumed they were together. He threw what he had into the truck bed and got in the cab beside Bradley without saying a word or looking towards the couple at all, I think he understood.

Me and Madds climbed up opposite the two, placing our supplies around us. There was barley any room left, it was a good thing me and her were both tiny. Thomas looked up for a split second to see who was there and went back to focusing on Alex.

The shirt that was being held against her had almost been soaked through already.