I suddenly understood why. His guards were gone. Either they took off or were killed by Adrian or Antonio. Maybe Damien too.

He looked at us and burst out laughing in a hysterical laughter. Like a madman. He grinned at Adrian showing his bloody teeth.

"You have no idea what you've done. You have no plans!" He laughed.

He scared me.

I looked up to see Adrian's reaction. Adrian matched the madman's smile with one of his own. Showing his teeth and grinning a vicious, wicked smile. He looked so terrifying at the moment.

"And doesn't that scare you to death?" He asked smoothly.

The color drained from Castellino's face.

I shivered and thanked my stars that the man holding me in his arms was not my enemy.

"Stay with me, Idiota, focus on my voice." He whispered in my ear as he carried me out and to a waiting car. The house behind us was oozing out pitch black smoke. We must have accidentally started a fire. I wanted to move, so I wouldn't be so helpless but my energy had deserted me. Adrian was whispering something to me in his language and I didn't understand a word. But I knew he was begging me to stay.

I tried.

But the minute my head hit the leather seats, I was out cold.

✴✴✴

I opened my eyes to the sight of a familiar ceiling. Hardwood, dotted with gold fixtures. I was in my room at the DeLuca manor. Isaac was sitting on the ornate chair next to my bed.

"What?"

He looked at me and sighed with relief. Before running outside. Presumably to call Adrian. Our designated nurse. Who slaughtered at least seven people in cold blood without even pulling the trigger.

Sure enough, Adrian walked into my room a few minutes later, still talking on his phone in fluent Italian. He cut the call and sat on the edge of my bed.

"Do you remember what happened?" He asked, bored.

"Yeah. You slaughtered six people." I replied, annoyed.

"They killed themselves." He waved it off.

"I'm not even going to debate on the morality of that." I sighed. "There would be no point. But I'm sure your brain pumps blood, because you don't have a heart."

He smiled slightly. "Is that what you really think?"

"Not really." I admitted.

"Stupid girl. But today you saw the true side of the Mafia. Not very pleasant is it?" He asked in a soft voice.

"No." I whispered, "How do you tolerate it?"

"The first few months after my Giovanni's death were tough, but now everyone knows better. Age doesn't matter as long as I'm smart enough, but I did face a lot more controversy. Castellino, for example, still thinks I can't lead. That's why I need the satellite too." He said.

"You should have killed Castellino then and there. He's going to come after you now." I said.

"Yes,I will kill him. Soon. The other Mafias want him dead. We may be a bunch of heartless assholes, but Castellino is a plague on mankind. There are some things that even we detest."

Like trafficking and prostitution. I vaguely remembered Damien's words. They were somewhat along those lines.

"What did he do?" I asked nervously.

"If I tell you then I'd have to kill you." Adrian said shortly. "Rest up, cara. You were shot. It was just a graze but you lost way too much blood than you should have before I could stitch it up."

"Cara. So I'm not Idiota anymore?"

Adrian smiled, "Stupid girl, you'll always be Idiota for me."

With that he walked outside the room. I took the painkillers that he'd kept on the table.

✴✴✴

I woke up in cold sweat. Gunshots rang in my ear even though I knew I was perfectly safe. I saw red on white everywhere, only waking up to find that the blood on my body was just my sweat. Slit throats smiled at me. I was terrified but lead filled my body. Castellino. He would come after me. He would give me a fate worse than I could imagine. The cloying scent of Cologne forced itself into my lungs. Making me relive everything. One painful breath after the other.

I felt tears fill my eyes. It was all so dark and scary. I was vulnerable. I had neither the strength nor the experience to play this dangerous game for power and riches.

I lay there, staring at the dark ceiling. Trying to calm myself down and steady my racing heartbeat. Then I heard it. Like a small ray of light in a dark cave.

Music.

Somebody was playing the piano in the Library across my room.

It started off as light. As if the player was testing his notes. Slowly the notes took form of a light airy melody, filling the air, ridding it of the choking scent, letting me breath again. Over time, another melody joined the rhythm. Overlapping with the previous notes. Creating light and music. The notes complemented and blended into each other, like a slow dance in the golden summer breeze.

I let the music flow over me, relaxing my muscles, chasing away my nightmares. As if the player had shared my nightmares, the music changed into a gentle lullaby that caressed my senses.

And that was the reason that despite everything, I went to sleep with a smile on my face. Feeling safer than ever.

Because I didn't feel lonely anymore.

My mother used to sing to me. Music comforted me. Tears welled up in my eyes as I remembered her on her deathbed. Don't worry Chevie, my love is very strong, even when I'm gone, I'll always be there with you, think of me as your invisible guardian angel. And with those words, my best friend and closest confident was gone.

I missed her. I missed her so much. At that moment I wanted nothing more than to talk to her, tell her what was happening and have her hold me close.

Mum, are you proud of me?

A few minutes later, I had a sudden urge to look, to see who my guardian angel was. I silently crept out of bed and walked to the library across the corridor. The house was quiet as a grave. There was nobody there. Were the medicines making me hallucinate? Makes sense.

I saw the ivory piano. It was shut.

But before I left I saw a blood stained jacket on the floor.

Adrian.

A/n

I think I'm falling for a character that I created. I need help. 😂

How do you like Adrian and Chevron now?

Btw I have officially entered the wattys2016 I don't know what I was thinking but what's the worst thing that could happen?

Until later,
Yours weirdly,
Liza.