Chapter 29

"Adrian!" I yelled. Pulling his sleeve.

Adrian glared at me and motioned for me to shut the fuck up.

"Ascolta!" His velvet smooth voice echoed through the corridors. Just loud enough for people to hear.

Immediately, the men got a glazed look over their faces. I recognized most of them from the party. That's why I got drunk so fast.

Adrian had spiked the drinks and probably hypnotized them easily. Shit! I should have guessed it! Nobody acted that strange. Even when they're drunk.

"Kill each other. Last one standing lives." He said in that compelling voice that sent shivers of fear down my own spine. Goosebumps rose on my arm. Hypnosis wasn't mind control. They wouldn't do it. Right?

Wrong.

The first bullet sent me jumping. A red stain bloomed on a man's shirt as he fell.

I let out a loud scream.

I felt hands on my shoulders, turning me around so that my back was to them. I pressed myself against Adrian, my face buried in his shirt, and shut my eyes tightly, trying to block out the loud gunshots ringing in the corridor.

Seconds later the gunshots stopped. I guess there was no one left to fire. I didn't dare open my eyes as Adrian led me out. I felt warm blood trickle down my knees and I knew it wasn't mine. I felt us turn and I finally opened my eyes.

Adrian was splattered in blood from head to toe. But it wasn't his. His eyes were empty. Emotionless. Just like Carelia had said, but he didn't scare me.

I imagined I looked the same.

Sure enough, Carelia's gown was stained dark red.

Wait.

"Adrian. The exit is the other way." I whispered, pointing to the gates.

Adrian ignored me, but his grip on my shoulder loosened.

"Adrian?"

He led me into another sterile white corridor, for some reason, I saw a flash of blood all over for a moment.

"Whoever is there! Stop!" A voice called out and another guard approached. I pulled Adrian and tried to run in the other direction.

A sharp pain burst through my shoulder. My arm felt like lead was flowing in my veins.

I was so sleepy. And tired.

How was I still walking?

I wasn't. Adrian was carrying me. The guard had a hole through his head and the second one had one in his chest. I bleakly looked up. Adrian was trying to hold his gun but having me in his arms made it kinda tough.

Fear shot up my spine. If I was too much of an inconvenience, would he leave me to die?

I think I saw Damien and Antonio walk in. Antonio had a sniper rifle slung across his back. They came running towards us.

"Isaac?" Adrian asked.

"Outside, needed to distract the guards. Let's go. Chevron is hurt." Antonio said.

How badly?

I felt Adrian run. Damien and Antonio ran outside first, followed by Adrian and me.

Castellino spotted us. Bright red welts covered the visible part of his skin. He looked like something from a horror movie. I didn't have the brainpower to comprehend the morality of the situation in that moment. But I wished he were dead. He looked at Adrian and then at me in his arms but didn't make a move.