"We're looking at a house to rent in because the council aren't really helping us. Radia's no longer even a part of this house, yet she's still helping us pay the bills. It isn't fair on her. As the kids are growing up, we feel more cramped than before even though we have one less person in the house," Uncle Irfan was saying, echoing Sami's thoughts about houses and homes.

"You have to be really persistent and patient with the council. But I'll let you know if I see any reasonably priced houses on rent. I think a friend of mine might be able to help. His family tend to buy properties, fix them up and then put them on rent."

"That would be great."

"You met him at the wedding too. The one who was becoming a barrister."

"I think I remember. What was his name?"

"Harris."

"Oh yes, that's a good kid. He's calm and respectful," Uncle Irfan said and Sami stopped himself from laughing. Harris, calm and respectful? Perhaps with elders but with Sami, he was anything but calm and respectful. At Sami's wedding, Harris kept pitying Radia over her 'poor choice' in men. But Uncle Irfan was right, he was a good guy.

"Yeah, I'll give him a call later today."

Sami and Uncle Irfan continued discussing different topics until Radia finally decided she was ready to go home. Sami jumped up as soon as she mentioned she was ready and her parents tried to keep Sami for iftar.(2) Sami told them he wished he could stay but they had to get going as he had work the next day. He had recently started his job as a trainee Educational Psychologist and he needed to go home, get things ready for the next day and maybe catch a nap before iftar as he couldn't start slacking so early on. Nonetheless, Aunt Nur packed some food for Sami and Radia to take with them.

Holding her bag in one hand and Squeaky in the other, Radia said goodbye to her sisters. Radia and Sami got to their car and Radia waved goodbye before sitting inside. Sami said salaam to everyone and then began to drive. He noticed Radia looked down.

"What's up? You don't want to go home?"

"They want to move. I heard dad talking about renting a house. He can't afford it and Sadia's talking about leaving her education to start working. On the one hand, I want to help them move but on the other, I don't want them to leave that flat we grew up in. I feel torn."

"I think it's good if they move. The flat is quite small. And money shouldn't be an issue. In a couple of months, I'll be earning from this job, in'sha'Allah. The salary starts pretty good and only gets better. I'm more than happy to help out."

"I don't know if dad would accept your financial help."

"He would if I put up a good enough argument. He has the kids to think about and I'll be earning more money than needed."

"We need to invest for our future. What about when we have kids?"

"I thought you said you didn't want any kids for a couple of years at least."

"I don't, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't save for them."

"I am saving money for them. I'm just saying, I'll have enough to help your dad too, in'sha'Allah. Remember, even though I financially help my mum and sister, they're already well provided for by my dad."

"Talking about money is boring," Radia complained and Sami chuckled.

"It's sadly a big part of life."

"But there are bigger parts such as love and food."

"How do we get the food though?"

"If we lived on a farm, we could grow it on our own. That would be so fun."