Chapter 10

After searching on several websites and looking at a number of flats, Sami finally found a good and affordable two bedroom flat with a masjid, halaal butchers and a train station nearby. He decided that instead of getting a temporary one bedroom flat, he'd get one with two bedrooms so he could start looking to marry when he got a better job.

Sami had to move further away from his work place and he decided to apply for a full time place at any place which would accept him. At the moment, he felt he needed a mediocre job more than a career. He knew he could live off his father's money for a while but he didn't feel right doing so. There was something Sami enjoyed about spending his own hard-earned money.

It was two weeks after Sami had left Hareem's house when he moved into his new flat with some basic furniture provided. It was clean and comfortable so Sami was happy with it.

It only took him days to settle in and Sami was fairly happy with the place. But it soon dawned upon him that he'd moved so far from his friends. What was a ten minute train journey to the local masjid near his old university was now an hour's train journey away. A lot of his friends were people he spoke to at that masjid after salaah time. It occurred to Sami that he may never see some of those friends again.

Pushing those thoughts aside, Sami decided he'd make new friends at the local masjid. It was after Maghrib salaah when Sami decided to stay behind, hoping to make a friend or two. If he didn't have anyone to talk to, Sami thought he'd go mad with his thoughts. He couldn't keep phoning Muhammad and his friend, Harris, seemed to be occupied with his new job. And of course, his work place didn't consist of the friendliest people.

It was there that by coincidence, or fate, Sami reunited with his old best friend.

"Ali? What the heck are you doing here?" Sami asked as soon as his eyes fell upon the familiar sight. For a moment, Ali looked back at Sami, confused.

"Asalamu'alaykum, bro!" Ali finally said, a grin taking over his face.

"Wa'alaykumusalaam," Sami replied, shaking Ali's hand. Ali pulled him into a man-hug and slapped his back. Sami winced, not expecting that to hurt. It occurred to Sami that Ali had grown twice the size of him. "Again, what are you doing here?"

"In the masjid?" Ali asked. Sami meant to ask what his friend was doing in London, but remembering the state Ali was in the last time they'd met, Sami became curious about this too. He'd hoped Ali had left behind his days of dealing drugs.

"Yeah."

"Ah, it's a long story," Ali replied, leading them out to the entrance.

"Which I'm assuming you're going to tell me anyway," Sami said and Ali chuckled.

"We just met after what, four years? And you want me to get into that already?"

"Yes. Let's skip the pleasantries. I'm fine, I'm assuming you're fine by the looks of it," Sami said, referring to Ali's build. Sami could tell Ali was working out. They reached the gates and stood to the side, letting other brothers pass by them.

"Nah, you first. How come you're here?"

"Finished my A Levels, moved to London for uni and decided to stay. Just moved to a flat here nearly a week ago."

"Interesting. Here, of all places!"

"Qadr(1) of Allah," Sami replied with a shrug.

"Or are you stalking me?" Ali asked and Sami laughed, shaking his head.

"Yeah, because I've got nothing better to do. On a serious note, what happened? I hope you being in the masjid is a regular thing. Tell me you've left all the ridiculousness behind."