A Dodo Concert

This feeling...am I underground?

Despite being too nauseous from the elevator ride to look around carefully, Alice vaguely felt as if she were in a subway station. A very, very colorful one.

"Are you claustrophobic by any chance, Miss Maerd?" the old man asked, gripping Alice's arm to keep her from falling. "You seem unsteady after the transit."

No, that elevator was just so fast I want to puke.

Alice shook her head, but allowed him to guide her through the room anyway.

As they approached a flight of stairs, Alice heard another ding! Turning irritably to see what it was, she saw something charging toward her. No, someone charging toward her. Fast. 

What the?!

To her horror, he wasn't slowing down.

Before Alice could jump out of the way, the old man swiftly grabbed her arm and pulled her aside. The boy, not slowing down for a moment, raced up the stairs and out of sight.

Stunned into immobility, Alice squeaked and nearly fell over. "Wh—"

The old man shook his head morosely. "Nathaniel..." he muttered. "Still as rude as ever." Taking Alice's hand, he led her up the stairs.

"Nathaniel? Another one of you Wonderlands?"

"Well...I suppose so..." The old man didn't look at Alice as he said this. "We're here."

A smooth wooden ceiling lay above the staircase. On it, a hatch door was opened askew, letting a small window of light shine upon the staircase. The old man smiled at Alice. "This would be the concert hall you've been looking for. Nathaniel was kind enough to leave the door open."

Alice bit her lip. Despite the fact she'd been looking for the hall, she felt very apprehensive about the way she was led there. And the boy running up the stairs before them...

What are they trying to do?

With the old man's assistance, Alice clambered out of the hatch. Instantly, a blinding light hit her. She rubbed her eyes tiredly and raised her head. Seeing her surroundings, Alice froze.

Sure enough, she was in the concert hall but...

Why am I...on the stage...?

Applause rang through the air. Flinching, Alice looked down to the stands and gaped. Dolly, Daleyza, Chelsea, Maddie, Harry, and Darnel were all sitting in large velvet seats, along with a few other people Alice didn't recognize. The old man had already joined them.

A woman that Alice hadn't met before slowly stood. Tall and regal, she smiled at Alice and bowed. "Alice Maerd, as are the sentiments for all my family, I am overjoyed to have you here today."

Alice found her voice again. "Wh—what?"

The woman frowned. "Surely you've received our invitation if you're here right now."

The old man cleared his throat. "Lady Pandora, I think she's just a bit confused—"

"Well of course she is," Daleyza snapped. "How is she supposed to perform if there aren't any instruments?"