Chapter 19: Back in Black

This is probably the last time we'll hear from Grimmauld Place. Sad. But, the boys and the story must move on.

Black House POV

The Most Ancient and Noble House of Black watched Kreacher's antics with amusement. It was less amused with the loss of the mixing bowls. They had been a wedding gift for Mistress Lestrella when she joined the family. Yet another priceless piece of Black family history, gone. Then it remembered that Mistress Lestrella had hated those mixing bowls – that they had in fact been a pointed reminder of her utter failure in the domestic arts in general, and baking in particular, which was why she had given them to Kreacher – and the Most Ancient and Noble House of Black relaxed. Black Family history was well and good, but if the Master or Mistress the object in question belonged to had disliked or even hated it, the Most Ancient and Noble House of Black supposed there really was no point in keeping it around. Objects with no sentimental value were clutter and junk, destined for the "Ugly Furniture Graveyard." And, really, there was already plenty in there.

The Most Ancient and Noble House of Black, unlike Kreacher, was unconcerned with the imminent departure of young Masters Potter and Malfoy-Black. The past weeks had shown both boys to be capable, mature, and quick. The Most Ancient and Noble House of Black welcomed the youthful spirit they brought. It felt itself lightening, expanding, stretching, shaking off the yoke of Dark Magic. It felt free.

Of course, the Most Ancient and Noble House of Black had not been idle while the Masters explored its walls. No, The Most Ancient and Noble House of Black had been busy indeed. The Most Ancient and Noble House of Black had studied the boys during their daylight waking hours. It had taken their measure, and plumbed the depths of their souls. But it was at night that the real work had been done. While the Masters slept, the Most Ancient and Noble House of Black had bound them, silently and surely, into its blood and bones and wards. Into its walls and rooms and secret spaces. Into every corner and every shadow. The Most Ancient and Noble House of Black had silently, stealthily, delicately bound them – to itself, and to each other. With every passing night, it drew them closer. And with every passing night, it twined their fates more surely with one another, and with its own.

The Most Ancient and Noble House of Black whispered a suggestion to Master Malfoy-Black, invisibly guiding him to the place where the Ugly Furniture Graveyard became something other. It slipped the Object of Affection into the path of Master Potter's unwitting hand, and smiled to itself when, as the Most Ancient and Noble House of Black had suspected, it led him directly to Master Malfoy-Black. And the Most Ancient and Noble House of Black came closer to laughter than it had ever done when Master Potter let the Object of Affection fall at last, and when neither boy thought to look for it. The Most Ancient and Noble House of Black vanished the Object of Affection, whisking it back to its most secret storage room, where reality once again became something other.

The Most Ancient and Noble House of Black saw the moment when Master Malfoy-Black suspected the wards of protecting Master Potter from the one who styled himself the Dark Lord. The Most Ancient and Noble House of Black nudged Master Malfoy-Black toward the library with the breath of a suggestion. It made sure the books Master Malfoy-Black was searching for practically leapt into his hands. It made sure the books he needed, but didn't know about did the same.

At the same time, the Most Ancient and Noble House of Black nudged Master Potter toward a certain dark attic corner. It lifted a floorboard, just a hair, just enough to trip an absent-minded foot. It nudged a small amulet out of its hiding place, to roll across the floor just where it would catch Master Potter's curious eye. It didn't look like much, the amulet – just a small, smooth, not-quite-perfectly-round stone. Just the right size to slip into the bottom of a pocket and worry absentmindedly. Quite nondescript, really. Of course, if one were to look closely enough, the faint glamour would fade, and runes would appear, etched near-invisibly across the amulet's surface. But the Most Ancient and Noble House of Black had taken Master Potter's measure, these past weeks. And the Most Ancient and Noble House of Black knew that Master Potter would never think to look so closely. But he would pick it up, and slip it into his pocket. And he would transfer it from pocket to pocket, without thinking about it, so that he always had it on him.

The Most Ancient and Noble House of Black impressed a suggestion into the amulet, to ensure that Master Potter did so. Of course, the Most Ancient and Noble House of Black knew that the precaution was unnecessary. That Master Potter would carry the amulet always without any nudging. That was just the sort of person he was. But The Most Ancient and Noble House of Black had learned never to trust completely in someone else's behavior without adding just a bit of suggestion. It was only practical.

The Most Ancient and Noble House of black also impressed a suggestion to ensure that Master Potter did not show the amulet to Master Malfoy-Black. For, the Most Ancient and Noble House of Black had learned, Master Malfoy-Black was the sort of person who would look closely. And the Most Ancient and Noble House of Black was counting on Master Malfoy-Black to look closer. It was trusting that he would, as it had never trusted anything before. But not until the proper moment. The Most Ancient and Noble House of Black was trusting that Master Malfoy-Black would see the amulet – really see it – and know at once how to use it. He had the information – the Most Ancient and Noble House of Black had seen to that. It put those books in Master Malfoy-Black's way along with the ones he sought. And it saw him read them. So it impressed one final suggestion into the amulet: that when the time was right, it would reveal itself to Master Malfoy-Black.

The Most Ancient and Noble House of Black could not ward Master Potter's mind against the Insufficiently-Dark Lord from afar. It did not know of any artifact that could do that. But it could put the amulet into his hand. The rest must be left up to Master Potter and Master Malfoy-Black themselves.

The Most Ancient and Noble House of Black nodded, satisfied. It had done what it could. What remained now was to sit back and wait for its Masters to return. And, the Most Ancient and Noble House of Black thought smugly, it was good at waiting.