The death of Lali

I was woken up by a loud banging noise, an officer was walking around the beds banging a pot. “You all have half an hour to shower and come to the hall to eat.” The officer barked. I growled and stumbled out of bed. Tom laughed and I spun around, he was behind me. “Not a morning person ehh?” He said and Bill came up and stood next to him. “If I wanted to pop out of bed and be all cheery I’d sleep in a damn toaster.” I grumbled and they snickered. Lali ran up and hugged me, she had slept with Roxy. I hugged her and walked towards the showers. The same loud beep was heard and the showers started, I rolled my eyes and just stuck my head under, goose bumps rose on my skin from the ice cold water. Once I was soaked and so was the dreary uniform, I walked away from the showers and stood against the back wall. I turned to see that Bill, Tom, Gustav, Georg, Roxy and Lali had done the same.

We walked in a group to the hall and sat down on the floor. there were no chairs or tables, when everyone had arrived we all walked up to where they served the food. It was two half cooked sausages and a charcoled bit of toast. We got given those without any plates. I sneered in disgust and went back to the others who already had their food. Georg and Gustav were eating theirs, Bill was slowly eating his and Tom’s was on the floor untouched. Lali walked back to us and sat close to me. She ate hers slowly. “Tom eat something, please” Bill begged. Tom huffed and I joined in. “Please Tom, I know its not the best tasting food in the world, but it stops you from starving” Tom huffed and ate his food. Then we all got moved into a room with a giant screen. “This will show you the route in which you are to take, some days it will change, which is why we watch this everyday.” An exasperated sigh came from many, but the guards hit them over the head, including Tom. The lights dimmed and the movie started, it was rather dull and in black and white.

When that was done they led us to where we had hung up the pipes yesterday, we were still in the same lines and we marched down the pathway shown, surprisingly there were no guards today, we marched all day and with the sun beating down on us, we were soaked in sweat by the end of the day, we hung up the cables and collapsed in our beds.

I was shook awake by a guard and saw that he had also waken up Gustav, Georg and Lali, he told us to follow him quietly. We were led to a room and the guard grabbed Lali. “Livi!” She cried out and I was going to get her back when Gustav grabbed my arm and shook his head. “What do you want with her.” I said and he smiled sadistically. “Rumors are that all are planning to escape.” He said and a look of confusion crossed her face. “The two guards that  were watching you today said you were speaking of escaping.” Then it hit me, they were framing me, this was punishment for fighting back. The guard drew out his baton and Livi tried to jump to her. Gustav grabbed her again and pulled her back. “This hurts me too, but we cant have two people hurt.” The guard hit her once with full force and there was a sickening crack and Lali fell to the floor. “Lali!” She cried. There was a puddle of blood pooling around her. Livi fought against Gustav and he held her tightly. “Livi, shes gone.” Gustav whispered in her ear. “No… no.. no.. no..” Livi kept muttering that and Gustav picked her up gently and carried her back to bed. There was soft murmering and then a weight on her bed. “I’m sorry Oli, I should;ve been there.” Bill said and he wrapped his arms around her waist. She shook her head numbly and leant against him, falling asleep.