I guess because of their careers and such—and my being so much older than Hermione—I was the one who took care of her. Not that I'd minded at all that much. But now here I was fifteen and it was time I had my own life.

As soon as I sat down my mom placed a heaping bowl of Hermione's favorite breakfast cereal in front of me. Now she knows I hate anything that's sweet, crunchy, frothy and pink. But before I could say boo the first thing that pops out of her mouth is, "Good morning, Anne."

"Mom!"

"What'd I say?" she squeaked all innocence, like we hadn't discussed my not being called "Anne" anymore like a gazillion times.

"She's very sensitive today," Hermione chirped in.

"She who?" I asked.

"Speaking of 'she who?'" my mom grinned. "How's your girlfriend Kay?"

Kay was the daughter of a client of hers who happened to be in the same grade as me. Anyway, one day out of the blue Kay had asked me to sit with her at lunch. So I did. I didn't say much just listened. She liked that. And so everyday after that we sat together.

Now Kay was most definitely a girl and she was a kind-of-friend but the space between those two words was about the same as you'd find in the Oxford dictionary.

"Fine, mom. She's just dandy."

"It's so groovy that you finally found someone you can bond with. A best girlfriend is very important at your age, you know. She's that someone you'll share all your secrets with and the one you'll build your memories with. Believe you me, boyfriends come and go but a girlfriend—she's for keeps."

My mom, bless her heart, means well but what comes out of her mouth most often doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

She sat down in her place and got a faraway look in her eyes. "With me it was Blossom Plum. We were as thick as thieves we two. My, the wild things we did! And the boys! Why, we had to beat them off with a stick, I can tell you."

She took a maudlin sip of her coffee with a one-pinky salute.

"And you're so lucky to have one so pretty."

"It amazes me too, Mom."

"Don't sell yourself short. Trust me, in time you'll come into your own. And believe me when you do she'll have to settle for slim pickings."

"Slim pickings?"

"Why yes, Dear. You know, the small fry that you throw back into the lake until they grow up."

"Ah...right." I was about as lost as an Arctic explorer at the South Pole.

"You're just a late bloomer is all. I was one myself. But mark my words just like me you'll blossom."

"Me? Blossom?"

"But you pay close mind to Kay. She can teach you a thing or two. She knows what to wear and how to wear it¾what to say and how to say it. You can't always be a tomboy all your life."

"I am not a tomboy¾"

"Maybe not a tomboy, but if you expect to snag a boyfriend¾"

"Boyfriend?!"

"Speaking of which," my dad rumbled suddenly taking interest in the strife. "You're not still seeing that Billy person are you?"

"Of course I am, Daddy. He is my best friend." I couldn't believe I'd just slipped and called my Dad—Daddy.

"Best friend? Is that what they call them these days?"

"I agree with Anne," Hermione chirruped, coming to my defense. "I think Billy's cute."