Chapter 37

Four more minutes to myself. I look around the room for something I can use to escape. And that's when I see it, Chad's pocket knife. He always used to bring it with him in our dates.

  "It's for protection." He would always say.

   The only problem is I need to find a way to get it with out making to much noise. How it this going to work? Three more minutes. I start scooting my chair towards the table that the knife is on. Then I stop and listen. Nothing. So I keep going. I finally reach the table. Two minutes left. I stand up a little bit on the chair so I can reach the knife. Got it! I start cutting the ropes. It's working! One minute. I'm free! I get up and run to the door. But just as I get to it the door swings open and I fall down the steps. Chad stomps after me looking furious.

  "You tried to escape!? Did we not just have a conversation about respect!?"

   He lunged at me and punched me in the face. I was knocked into the ground again. Then he kicked me in my side. I tried to talk to him. To apologize but he kept kicking and screaming and yelling at me.

  "I don't want to do this to you, Piper! But, you leave me no choice. This is what you get when you don't respect me! Are you going to respect me?!"

  I wanted to say yes, but I couldn't breathe. I couldn't speak. When I didn't answer he grabbed the knife and he stabbed me.

  "Answer me!"

  That's when the door swung open. I was almost unconscious so I couldn't tell what was going on. I heard Chad yell something as he got carried away.

  "I'm sorry, Piper! I'm sorry! I love you! Please don't leave me! Piper!"

  Just like that he was gone. And so was I.