Chapter 20 - You don't need to know a mother to feel her love

Avi?

Avi flayed his hands on the surface around where he lay. The granite step was cold and bare - exactly what his body craved. The hard surface absorbed the pain seeping through his body but left him in an exhausted state.

Avi, have I lost you?

No. I'm alive.

But why was he still alive? Bewildered, Avi elbowed himself up to a sitting position. The Forced Blessed could have taken him, while he squirmed on the temple steps, but they chose not to. He was puzzled. They were still there. He could hear them down below.

Too tired to give Rosetta any further reassurances, he closed his eyes and cruised down the channel Rosetta opened between their minds. He wanted to know how she was faring.

He recoiled.

Tawny was on his haunches, prising one of Rosetta's eyes open with his fingers. Rosetta jerked her face forward and hissed. Tawny's whole body rocked back.

"About time, you woke up from your earlier meltdown," he said, dusting his hands against his bent knees before he stood up.

Avi's mounting hatred for Tawny made it difficult for him to stay calm. Nonetheless, he kept quiet.

"Get up Rosetta, we need to make it to the jungle and find Avi," Meeru said.

Avi inwardly groaned. Meeru was still none the wiser.

"I really can't believe you're stalling, Rosetta," Meeru stood akimbo towering over Rosetta. She was clearly frustrated and angry by the delay. "Running away in two directions hasn't helped. Now we have to hope that Avi hasn't been blessed by a lesser creature."

Rosetta inched a fraction. "Meeru, Avi is out of harm's way, and so there is no rush."

You really need to contact him Rosetta, this one last time.

Tawny, you won't trick me into giving you his location. He is fine.

Have it your way.

Tawny shook his head. "Rosetta, your reluctance to cooperate with us leaves me no other choice."

Before Rosetta could ask him what he meant, Tawny moved his arm from Meeru's shoulder and held her in a neck brace. Avi helplessly watched as Meeru's initial disbelief transformed into panic as she thrashed about attempting to free herself from Tawny's clutches. Her legs and elbows aimed at vulnerable parts on Tawny's body to no avail. Instead, Tawny raised the side of her combat outfit to expose her bare waist and pressed the tip of his knife to it and drew a trickle of blood. Avi flinched as he observed Tawny screw the knife once and then twice so the knife lodged deeper in her skin. Meeru quickly learnt to move only when Tawny asked her to.

"Warwick, let me go. Please... this wasn't our plan. I'll help you find Avi."

"Oh I've found him," Tawny looked at Rosetta as he said the rest of his sentence, "and he'll be dead soon."

"But you said you need him!" Meeru protested.

"I lied, Meeru. I just need Rosetta to help you on your way to becoming a snow leopard."

Meeru's body convulsed allowing the knife to slip even deeper.

"How can she help me? I'm not a first born. It's not possible for me to become a Blessed."

Tawny intently stared at Meeru.

"You know how."

Meeru nodded from side to side.