Chapter 16 - A Woman's Place

A/N  Thank you for reading my work! Warning: Although not graphically described the conversation about tragic deaths of infant girls is shocking. Alas it is not made up. 

"You couldn't help yourself, could you? Was it because he was like you in many ways?"

"How did you get out...," and then he spotted Meeru behind the humped Rosetta. "No time for sentimental rubbish, just help him, he's your..."

"Son." Rosetta uttered then hovelled over and squatted at the opposite end to Major. She raised Avi's leg high on an overturned bucket. He might have taken everything away from Rosetta, but her large quicksilver eyes had not changed; they were still intelligent and unbreakable. They were silently communicating with him, causing him to squirm.

Rosetta had picked on his remorse and felt pity for him.

"I suppose you want me to regret and ask for forgiveness but I ask for none. I would do it again if I thought it would save him from the same fate. " Major said.

"I know you are a stubborn man."

Meeru snatched some of the dupattas drying in the compound and handed them to Rosetta. Rosetta tore them into strips and went about tightly wrapping them round Avi's thigh as she spoke to Major. "Papa, the time to regret or even talk has gone. Our suffering will soon be over. Go indoors, close your curtains and keep the rest in too. Don't let anyone come out." Then holding her deformed back she finally stood up from where she squatted and sat knee to knee with Major and transferred her son's head to her own lap.

Meeru watched with tears in her eyes, and quietly said, "Papa, don't wait for Dev and Riki tonight. They will have to spend the night at the doctor's because the army has blocked the roads over the pass. A senior government dignitary is arriving this evening – it could even be the Prime Minister."

Major nodded. It was a common enough happening since the government had created the new state of Uttarkand in which the valley sat. He didn't understand Meeru's involvement with Rosetta and was quite hurt by her betrayal. "It was you who told Avi, and Rosetta's name wasn't it? But who told you and what do you know?

"The answer to the first question is: I gave him her name today because the changes had already happened. The answer to the second questions is that I know all of it."

"All?"

"Yes father. I learnt of her name and that she was Avi's mother and his father's first wife. I also know that Rosetta saved me from drowning."

"All of it..." Alarm hit Major; he didn't know how to deal with her knowing everything.

Feeling defeated, Major moved to get up but suddenly his energy ran out. Meeru came forward to help him. He clasped her wrist and with tears in his eyes said, "I didn't want him to die."

As soon as Major disappeared Meeru took out her whistle from her shawl and silently blew on it. Rosetta held her ears momentarily and swung around to Meeru. "You just called the person who gave away all our secrets?"

Meeru nodded.

"Did you have a hand in bringing Alice's girl here?"

Meeru nodded again.

"In that case Meeru, you are damned, just like your friend is."

Meeru gently kissed Avi's forehead. "Why should Avi be on his own? You might be his biological mother but I have cared for him forever, even before I knew how you saved my life. It's a shame you weren't able to do the same for your own daughter - Avi's sister."