A battle by any other name - AU

Start from the beginning

"Staring at whom?"

Dropping the sparks flying between our eyes we saw Serena standing there looking innocent as ever. Getting extremely flustered and dropping all of my common sense I quickly replied with "Bonnie. I don't like people staring at Bonnie"

Even though she wasn't in my vision I knew Bonnie was face-palming and cursing me in and out in her head.

"Look at this" Clemont exclaimed, breaking the tension"There's a competition not far from here". He was pointing at a poster on board on the other side of the street.

"That's exactly why I'm here" the idiot said "It's a quiz about pokemon. You know, to test how much you know about them."

"Oh is that so?" Serena said "Why don't you participate Ash?"

Could I ever say no to her? And also, I'm getting a chance to sweep the floor with this dude and show him who's boss.

"May I know your name, Mademoiselle ?" he asked slowly taking her hand.

Karate-copping their hands apart I said "Her name is Serena, I'm Ash, that is Bonnie and the small one is Clemont. Mind telling us yours?"

No one is touching Serena, no one.

Throwing both of his hands up he said "My name is Calem, It's a 'pleasure' to meet you"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After we found out it's location, we proceeded to walk there. And the whole entire time he kept trying to flirt with Serena, calling her pretty, telling her she has beautiful eyes, yada yada and with that he successfully accomplished the feat of getting on my nerve cause he would smirk at me when Serena would thank him for his compliment.

The last time he did it, I lost all cool.

"COULD YOU PLEASE STOP DOING THAT!! YOU ARE IRRITATING ALL OF US YOU KNOW!! YOU'RE ANNOYING AND DUMB AND-"

"CALM DOWN!!" Bonnie stepped in "Fighting won't get you anywhere! Just move and we can get there quicker." 

Her bossy attitude seemed to do the trick and both of us instantly shut up.

We were still glaring at each other though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Good afternoon boys and girls of all ages, I'm Jessica, your host and welcome to the 68th 'how well do you know your pokemon' quiz!"

We had made it just in time of this announcement and within a span of five minutes, me and Calem had registered and then quickly scrambled to find a seat.

He was too slow and I got the one beside Serena. Ha!

"Our quiz master is a very special person" Jessica announced "He has worked with many organizations for the well-fare of pokemon and has received many accolades, please welcome world-class trainer and coordinator Andrew"

Stepping out of the wings a guy with striking black hair and black eyes came forward and took the mike. "Hello everybody" he announced, lifting a hand up and waving at the crowd "It is my honor to be here and lead this amazing event!"

All the people there cheered and broke into a loud applause, but they hadn't failed to notice a lemon-haired figure run up to the stage.

"You seem like a really nice guy" Clemont exclaimed "You love pokemon just like my sister does, so I was hoping you could take care of her"

"Excuse me?" Andrew asked. You could tell he was amused.

But before Clemont could continue, Bonnie popped out of nowhere, tucked him under her arm and darted off at the speed of light.

"A husband huh?" Calem asked, getting up from his sitting and taking one beside Serena "Do you have a future husband, Serena?"

"Me? No I don't think so" she replied, giggling "But now that you mention it"

"Well because you see, there are some guys who-"

I didn't let him continue." We should go backstage now Calem" I interrupted and dragged him out of his seat.

The first round wasn't that difficult and it was a written one. They were just basic questions, you know like what is the evolved form of Ralts or Eevee's dark type evolution, but I guess the others there were just idiots and I passed into the second round.

So did Calem. I guess this is where the actual competition starts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They second round was an oral round and there were three podiums with buzzers, placed on stage. Me, Calem and the other qualificator Emma proceeded onto the stage and took our places behind each one of them.

"Let us begin shall we?" Andrew said "This is the first question - We all know that dark type moves are super-effective against Psychic types, but can you name another type which has an advantage over psychic types?"

Fighting types. Duh.

That was super easy, don't know why it's called the second round. But before I could hit the buzzer, Emma's buzzer went off "Bug types" she said.

Aww, well at-least she tried.

"You are absolutely right!"

Wait what!

And so it went on. Every single time I thought I had an answer, Emma would say something totally different and it would be right. As for Calem, it didn't look like he was even trying.

As if it wasn't already totally obvious, Emma won by a landslide. 20 to 0 to 0.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While they were closing down the event, Calem caught up to me.

"That was much more difficult than we thought it would be, right?"

"Yeah" I replied.

"So I'll see you around" he said "Probably the Kalos League"

He was actually being nice to me. We might actually become friends.

"Oh and one more thing" he smirked "If you keep your head in the clouds, I'll steal Serena away"

We'll never become friends. Ever.

A/N-------------------------------------------------------------------

(1000+ words)

ERMAHGAWD (OH MY GOD) I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT THIS BOOK HAS OVER 800 READS!!! I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!

THANK YOU TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE READ AND VOTED AND COMMENTED ON THESE ON-SHOTS. THANKYOU SO VERY MUCH!!

*bows down* ARIGATOU GOSAIMAS!!