Chapter 3

In class eleven Hema opted for Arts group without mathematics. She was relieved to get rid of it. She was good at calculations but it did not interest her. Commerce and economics were easier subjects.

Divya moved a class ahead. She was bored in a girl's convent and wished she was in a co-ed school. Unlike Hema, Divya was not tall. Her features were plain and she was of a darker complexion. Her walk has improved in years.

Hema and Divya were returning from school and Hema was walking fast to reach home early and clean the house before her mother came.

'Hema, I feel that guy is looking at us every day,' Divya said without pointing at anyone.

'Who?' Hema asked.

'Look to your left. The guy in red T- shirt and blue jeans. Don't look now. He is still there. Can't you be a little subtle please, when will you learn all this?' said Divya gritting her teeth.

Hema felt Divya knew a lot more than her when it came to boys.

Hema saw Rajesh every day on her way back from school. Color rose to her cheeks every time he looked straight into her eyes though he stood quite far. Why was he looking at her? she thought.

Hema walked quickly to avoid being exposed to those penetrating eyes .

'Why are you rushing?' shouted Divya dragging behind her. Hema slowed down to wait for Divya. She shouldn't be doing this to her sister., she thought.

'That guy stands there and looks at us every day. Don't tell me you have not noticed. What's happening? Is he waiting for you? How do you know him?' Divya cross-examined once she caught up with her.

Hema ignored her and walked home in silence.

The whole evening Divya gave her that 'I know it all' look. Hema was wondering if what Divya said was true. If yes, why was the guy there? She did think of their short meeting a number of times but that shouldn't be the reason for him to wait for her every day, or was it?.

In the following days, Hema was fully aware of those sharp eyes that followed her. She never looked up. She was scared what her sister would say if she looked at him.

-----------------------------

Rajesh couldn't concentrate on the game when it was time for Hema to return from school. He took a break to have a smoke. His friends repeatedly warned him about her father, but he was not doing anything offensive, he said to himself.

It was almost a year since she spoke to him. Her fidgety hands, furrowed brow, neglected sense of dressing, unlike those of her age, and her hurried walking like a rabbit running into its burrow at the slightest disturbance, intrigued him.

The bus stopped but she was not in bus today. Her sister, as soon as she got down, tried to locate Rajesh in his usual place under the huge eucalyptus tree. The tree wouldn't let any other plant grow under her, but has somehow tolerated him. Quite disappointed at not being able to see Hema today, Rajesh extinguished his cigarette butt and turned towards the swampy ground when he heard someone calling out loud.

"Hello! Wait a minute... I want to talk to you," Hema's sister called out progressing towards him.

Rajesh ran his hand through his slick hair and stood there confused.

"Your name is Rajesh, right?" She said, "my brother said you want a captain of the team."

"Yeah."

"For whom are you waiting to here every day? Look, if you're waiting for my sister, don't waste your time. She is going to become a nun, and she won't even look at you," Hema's sister said.

"Well... I... wasn't looking at anyone," Rajesh blurted out as if caught in a treacherous act.

"You better not," Hema's sister said with the grin, "my name is Divya, Hema's sister."

"Hi then, you are alone today?" Rajesh asked with an apologetical smile.

"There you are... fine, she's down with flu. Do not tell anything to my brother, he will tell my mother. Bye for now, my people will come out to look for me. I will tell Hema you asked about her.''