Prologue

The meandering hill road seemed never ending. The winter skyline with deep orange and pink hues was slowly fading making way for the stars. The thick forest on both sides of the road cast ominous façade on the acute curves. The front seat passengers looked exhausted from the combination of never-ending hairpin bends and the brake fluid smell emanating from the bonnet. The bus was packed with passengers standing up to the driver's seat. The monotony had tempted the driver to light a cigar and the wind blew smoke back in to the bus. A dark fat woman in a red rubber silk saree who was fighting her urge to throw up could no longer contain it. She stuck her head out and made an odd sound leaving a string of half digested vada and boonda waste that she ate when the bus stopped for a mid journey break. The acidic reek combined with the existing atmosphere made Hema uncomfortable.

Hema did not have morning sickness. How she wished she had. That could have given her an indication of her pregnancy. It was only when she started feeling fluttering movements in her stomach she got worried. Rajesh was always cautious She never thought this was possible if the doctor had not confirmed her worst fears. Rajesh had promised to take her to his mother today. A lump formed in her throat; she closed her eyes to hide her tears. Last month had been hell for Hema. Tears and sighs became her constants companions. She was travelling from Coimbatore where she was studying MA English literature. She did not opt for the subject out of love but out of disinterest in studies. She was neither good nor a bad student. English Literature was easy to pass with the help of guides that were available for every classic written. The present system of education does not require one to have any passion for the subject. She had to do her masters in any subject to get into government jobs reserved for Schedule Tribes. Being a Toda was a rare distinction; their dwindling number was a concern for anthropologists all over the world.

The bus reached Charing Cross, the entry point of Ooty; Hema got down and walked towards the Botanical Garden. There was a slight drizzle. She took out her sweater from her huge bag and tears trickled down her cheeks. It was her mother's gift for her birthday. Guilt struck like darts in her heart. This is no time for grieving she thought. She needed to get on with what had to be done. She reached Arcade shopping complex on the Garden road and entered the corner shop. Amar, Rajesh's friend had a video rental shop; this had been their frequent meeting place for past few years. Rajesh had promised to wait for her here. Rajesh was not there. Amar stood up from his seat. He was not in his usual gay mood; his eyes dropped and he spoke in a subdued tone:

'He will be here in half an hour'.

Hema sat heavily on a plastic chair close to the door eyes fixed on the road waiting for Rajesh. This is not the first time Rajesh had made her wait for him here. But this would be the last time, she resolved.

______x______

Hi, thanks for reading. Please let me know what you think about this chapter in the comments section.