- chapter 6 -

Chapter 6

Bailey Humphreys

I throw my head back in laughter, one hand clutching my stomach and the other hand holding my Dairy Queen Dilly Bar.

Matt stood in front of Tom and I, an annoyed expression on his face. His then blizzard was now smeared on his shirt, probably seeping through.

"What happened?" James asked, a Dairy Queen treat of his own in his hand. He'd gone to the loo while we took our orders, so he just arrived now.

"Some bloke bumped into Matt when he was literally about to eat his first spoonful." Tom explained, laughing.

James guffawed and patted Matt on the shoulder. "That's sad, but hilarious." 

Matt snorted, shaking James' hand off. "It's a waste of my money, that's what it is."

I walk off to the outdoor table where Josh and Tyler are sat, also laughing at the mess that was Matt.

When I take a seat, Tyler stops laughing, but a ghost of a smile remains on his lips. It's the first time I've seen him happy. He always looks either bored, mad, agitated or annoyed.

It was a good look on him. Smiling, I mean.

"So you actually smile and show other emotions besides rudeness." I remark, taking a bite off my snack. "I'm pleasantly surprised."

Tyler rolls his eyes, but the smile on his lips grows. He turns to face the sea in front of the Dairy Queen we were at, probably to hide his smile.

Josh nudges me. "Right? I can't believe it either. It feels like a breath of fresh air." He smiles.

Tyler rolls his eyes at our words. "Shut up," He mutters, still not looking at us. "It's a one-time thing."

"Sure, pal." I said sarcastically, and turned to the sea as well.

It was 4 in the afternoon when we arrived back in Tyler's home. I fell asleep a few hours after that, at about 8 in the evening.

And now, at 2 in the morning, I was as awake as a bloody owl. Perfect.

I walk down the hallway, hugging my night shirt against my body. It was freezing.

I maneuver towards the living room, and sit on the window sill of the massive window, careful not to break any of Tyler's plants.

I look out to the sky and I'm in awe. New York City is beautiful at night.

My eyes wandered to the sky, where hundreds and thousands of stars sparkled with the city lights, unwilling to be outshined.

The view on its own is spectacular, but when I shift a little, the tree in the driveway blocks most of it, but for some reason, that was more beautiful. The light from the city and the stars and the moon flickered, obstructed by the swaying leaves.

A wave of homesickness comes over me, but disappears as soon as it came. New York may be beautiful, but nothing will ever compare to London. London is home.

And then I hear a step.

I freeze. My heart starts to beat rapidly. I feel my ears get hot.

Is Tyler's house haunted? Am I going to die in the hands of a ghost? Is there a burglar in here? Am I going to die?!

"What're you doing here?"

My head snaps around and meets a sleepy Tyler Joseph.

My heart sinks back to its spot and slows back to its normal speed. "I couldn't sleep."