Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

My phone buzzes early in the morning. A loud noise that re-sets my heart and forces me into the land of the living. I really wanted to spend my day sleeping, not dealing with the curveballs earth is going to throw at me today.

First curveball, Jason.

His name slides across the screen which sends my heart racing in a panicked motion. Why today? But of course, I know why today. It's time to face my fate at the record label after the tiff in the street with his new girl. I wonder if they're still together, or if she's realised Jason isn't worth losing your self-dignity over.

People will forget about their self-worth when they can find a better gain somewhere else.

Here I am, a sad, soppy girl licking what is left of myself off the floor. Men like him don't care if they trample the flowers in the garden to get to their desired pathway. We're just a cushion of dirt under their boot, nothing more than a passing scenery.

Despite my head screaming for me to ignore the call and return to the land of dreams – the more satisfying part of the day – I answer the call and press the cold slender device against my ear.

"Hello, Lola speaking," I say.

"Come to the record label, immediately." The line falls silence and I have to remind myself to stay strong. Well, stronger than before.

Tossing my phone onto the best space beside me, I slide out of bed and onto the ground. Rolling onto my back, I look up at the ceiling and scream out with annoyance.

"Why me?" I shout. "What have I done wrong?"

When nobody answers my question, I roll to my side and get up. I walk towards my drawers in search of something to wear. I grab my comfiest pair of black jeans and a tight fitting singlet to pair with a cotton jumper. I find a pair of slip on shoes under the bed before I change into it.

I want to try with my hair, but I end up flicking my wavy hair up into a bun before grabbing my handbag. I make my way out the door with my earphones and girl power music list in my wake.

Within the shortest walk of my life, I make it to the record label. I push open the doors and stroll inside, an upbeat anthem of kicking butt playing in my mind.

When the reality of this situation soaks in, I'm going to need at least three tubs of ice-cream to make the world feel better. But right now, fear threatens to consume my body while wanting to stay strong keeps it at bay. A cracking wall waiting to let the flood flow through.

I find myself walking into the recording studio to find Jason and his girl seated at the desk. Immediately, Jason jumps up and strides towards me, a menacing glint in his hard eyes.

"You're finished in this world, Lola. I'm dropping you from my imprint. If I see you at another record label with your crappy music, I will ruin your career."