"She asked me to run away with her, yes," Spiderthorn replied. "And maybe I even considered it. A family, far away from DarkClan, where we could raise our kits to believe in things other than ambition and strength and intelligence. But I knew that was impossible. The darkness always finds you."

Nightchaser shivered at the words, aware of how icy his father's yellow eyes had turned.

"She refused to eat after I told her that. She nearly starved herself to death. She didn't want to have the kits she carried, she didn't want them born into this world. But Cedarheart managed to keep her alive despite her best efforts and so the three of you were born. After that, she did her best to starve you to death but Marshclaw took you in; Dapplepaw and Cherrypaw were only two moons older than you and her milk was still plentiful.

"So, unable to watch her kits, one of which was destined to become the truth-teller she hated so much, she took her own life."

Nightchaser could not believe his ears. "You're lying."

Spiderthorn's eyes suddenly shifted to sorrow. "I wish that were true."

"So you did love her!" the truth-teller shouted, seeing the regret evident in his father. "You preach about the greatness of DarkClan yet you yourself have broken its rules!"

The deputy's claws were at his throat immediately and Nightchaser swallowed hard. "I do not preach the greatness of DarkClan. I simply acknowledge that there is no escape." The words were hardly a whisper.

"But there is," Nightchaser replied. "All we need is a little bit more help from those in DarkClan who have not yet rebelled. Sootstar fights his own battle with Heatherstar in StarClan and, from the looks of it, they must be winning."

Spiderthorn wheeled around, as if searching for an invisible enemy, but Nightchaser just nodded up at the sky, where stars were all of a sudden plentiful and bright.

"DarkClan will fall on the darkest of nights," Nightchaser continued, willing his father to believe him. "Hailwatcher told me so."

The ghost of amusement played on the deputy's face at the words. "With the stars out, it's hardly the darkest of nights, isn't it?"

Nightchaser's heart dropped into his stomach once more. Looking between the sky and his father's smug expression the doubts within grew to an all new height, threatening to swallow him up.

"You're so much like your mother," Spiderthorn said, though a genuine note resounded behind his otherwise flat tone. "But, like her, you won't escape. You can't escape the darkness."

The truth-teller felt himself backing away, shaking his head as the red haze faded and the reality of his situation hit him. All around him, the rebels were wounded and scattered, falling prey to the stronger DarkClan cats. The alley cats were wheezing, unable to keep up with seasoned warriors. And here he was, facing his own father, who wished to keep him locked in DarkClan's clutches.

"Surrender," Spiderthorn said quietly. "And I will make sure no harm comes to you when Dawnstar's rulings for the traitors are announced."

Not far away, Goosepelt hissed with pain as Shadowpelt struck at his chest. Crowpaw and Webpaw, sticking together as they double-teamed Willowtail, were tiring quickly, blows missing their marks. Snailwhisker was covered in wounds, screeching as Skunknose ran his claws over the tabby's ears.

Nightchaser shook his head. "No." If he went down, it would be fighting alongside the rebels who had risked so much for him.

Spiderthorn took his decision without complaint, claws sliding out of their sheathes before the truth-teller could blink. Without hesitation, the deputy threw himself at the rebel and Nightchaser instantly found the odds very much against him.