CHAPTER THREE: SAVE

Start from the beginning

William always liked to play a game of gamble with fate; he hoped that this time his tactique wasn't going to betray him. This time, it wasn't only his life he had been gambling with ⎼ but Marie's also.

"Miss Graaaaay! We shan't let you run. We also know you won't, not when we have Miss Wayland with us, not when we can hurt her all over again."

The games of lights and shadows were displayed against the stone walls of the Dark House. The air around Will and Tessa grew hotter and hotter, almost as if they were running through Hell and the Dark Sisters' voices taunted them with each step they took.

Finally, after many taken turns and twists through the dark building, the pair ended up at a metal doors. William flung himself at them and the doors burst open, making him tumble inside. Tessa, quickly following behind him, closed the door.

"Where are we?" She whispered. "Are we safe?"

Without answering, Will drew away, raising his right hand. As he lifted it, the light blazed up higher, illuminating the room.

They were in a sort of cell, though it was very large. The walls, floor and ceiling were stone. There was only one window, very high up in the wall. There were no doors except the ones they had come through.

The place was a slaughterhouse, without a doubt. Long wooden tables were running the length of the room. Naked and pale bodies lay on one of them ⎼ human bodies. Each had a black incision in the shape of a Y marking its chest and each head dangled back over the edge of the table, the hair of the women sweeping the floor like brooms.

Tessa crammed a hand into her mouth, stifling a scream. Will didn't seem to notice; he was white⎼faced as he looked around, mouthing something under his breath that Tessa couldn't quite make out.

There was a crashing noise as the metal doors shuddered. Something heavy had flung itself against them.

"Mr. Herondale!" Tessa pleaded.

He turned, as the doors shuddered again. A voice echoed from the other side of them: "Miss Gray! Come out now, and we won't hurt you!"

"They're lying," Tessa said quickly.

"Oh, you really think so?" His question had been dripping with sarcasm.

Will pocketed his glowing Witchlight and leaped onto the center table, the one covered in bloodied machinery. He bent down and caught up a heavy⎼looking brass cog and weighed it in his hand.

With a grunt of effort he hurled it toward the high window; the glass shattered and Will raised his voice. "Henry! Some assistance, please! Henry!"

Suddenly, the front door burst open revealing the Dark Sisters themselves ⎼ Mrs. Dark, tall and bony in her green gown, and Mrs. Black, red⎼faced and holding Marie by her arms that were chained behind her body.

Marie was barely aware of what was going on around her. She was far too weak and injured to collect her thoughts and comprehend the horrible picture of what was going on in front of her.

However, there was one thing that she couldn't miss seeing, even if she tried. One person ⎼ precisely.

William Herondale. William Herondale standing on top of the table in all his glory, a sharp blade in his hand.

"William," Marie whispered quietly.

"Miss Gray," Mrs. Black started. "We told you bad things would happen if you try to run away again."

"Kill me then! See if I care!" Tessa shouted.

"What an unexpectedly sharp tongue you have, Miss Gray, my dear," said Mrs. Black.