Shot Six: Tragedy.

Finally, after an extra long day at work, I was able to go home. Overall, it was a very uneventful day. I made light of the mood and skipped home, whistling.

Within a few a minutes, I reached home which had all its lights on. But not a peep was heard from inside. I went into the shed in the garden and changed into my dress, with a little difficulty.

Walking and opening the front door, I called out to everyone. "I'm home!" The scene that met my eyes took my breath away. And not in a good way.

The interior of the house looked as if a giant ship ran through it. Table were overturned, chairs were knocked to the side, the wood from them chipped away. Aunt Branks china was destroyed. The rugs were ripped up. Everything was a disaster.

And not only that, but there was blood everywhere too. I ventured through the house and saw sights that I'd never be able to erase from my mind. I had first thought that it was all a joke. Yet as the steady drip of blood falling from their bodies reached my eyes and ears, I knew that it was no joke.

I walked upstairs to Ella and I's room. She was the only body I didn't see and I hoped, prayed that she was alive.

And she was.

"Ella!" I cried. She turned around, eyes wild.

"Lilly! Oh my goodness Lilly you're still alive!" We ran towards each other and hugged so tightly, we didn't want to let go. I was so utterly thankful that she was still alive, still breathing, heart still pumping.

"Oh my god Ella please tell me what happened." She broke away from me before talking.

"W-well not much had b-been going on anyway. I was up here, m-mind-ing - hic - my own b-business when I heard a sc-scream. And then I saw a man in d-dark - hic - clothing in the doorway and h-he had a knife out t-too. Thankfully, - hic - the window was open s-so I jumped out and then ran to G-green park. B-but Aunt Brank and.. and Anne and Maria, L-Lisbeth, Gertrude and uncle Bufford.. They - hic - they.." She couldn't continue, but broke into sobs. I pulled her into another hug. I looked around the room and found a red message on the wall. Your entire family is dead. And you are next Lillian. Watch out.

And then it dawned on me that Ella and I were now orphans.

But how were we to survive?

* * *

The next morning, I wrote Ella a note that I had to go do something and that I wanted her to go straight to Patsy's house, but not tell her what happened. I didn't trust Edmund enough to have her stay at his house.

I myself went straight to work. I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone so I never greeted Mr Stone when he did.

The entire day at worked passed like any other day. I never complained, I never retaliated or argued. Hell I hardly spoke or wrote. I thought that Mr Ambrose wouldn't notice. I had a feeling, a strong one that he wouldn't. But he did.

Right before I left, I heard a plink and I opened what I thought was the last message of the day.

Mr Linton,

What is the matter with you?

Rikkard Ambrose.

I replied immediately.

Dear Mr Ambrose,

There's nothing wrong with me. Why do you ask?

Miss Lilly Linton.

His reply came back at the same rate that I sent mine. What's going on?

Mr Linton,

I am inquiring you for the reason behind the teardrops on my files.