Why look at something you wish to have more than anything in your life but never can?

"Of course she is but she won't be if you keep calling her that" Hope told your father "She's not a little girl anymore dad"

"To me she is, alright? And will always be" he almost pouted "Which also reminds me-" a smile broke on his face "-you didn't tell me how you two met"

"Oh yes, a little bit information would be really welcomed! Tell us Dean, how did you win over her heart? Our little (Y/n) is not an easy one" your mother added.

Dean laughed fully as he unexpectedly put a hand on top of yours "Well trust me, I know that first hand" he nodded his head and you could not help but let a small giggle as well. You did play hard to get from the very first moment.

"But-" a small sigh left his lips as a more soft smile was on his lips "-I really don't know what to say about winning her over. Hell, it is is still impossible for me to believe. I guess I just-" he swallowed the lump in his throat turning his head to look at you fully in the eyes, an emotion there that you had never seen before in him, along with the seriousness "I am pretty damn lucky" his thumb subconsciously rubbing over your palm.

"I remember-" he let a small chuckle turning to look at your parents and sister "I still remember how we met. How could I ever forget that. She came right out of nowhere. It was raining so heavily I doubted there was a single person outside yet there she was, standing at my porch wet to the bone. It was-" he let out a breathy laugh "-it was the cutest sight I have ever seen in my life to be honest." he gave your hand a small squeeze as you looked down.

You tried to swallow down the lump that had formed in your throat at his words.

"She was shaking a little, her hair sticking to her face but despite everything and despite the darkness I was able to see her eyes and-" he stopped himself for a second "-Damn, for a second I thought I was dreaming. They were just so... bright and, she'll certainly tease me about this later, as if sparkling. So beautiful I could not believe it" he chuckled a little and you could not help a laugh. As you could not help the blush that rose in your cheeks.

You could feel your heart beat so fast and hard in your chest that it almost made you feel as if you could not breathe. You were biting your lip so hard you thought you would draw blood as your face felt as if it was on fire.

"Her car had broken down and I offered her shelter for the night- not- not that I took advantage of it, sir, don't worry! Didn't take advantage of her at all!" he was fast to add the last part at seeing the look on your father's face.

You almost let a small giggle at how Dean said it. It was quiet adorable.

"More like I took advantage of his kindness" you said in a barely audible whisper and Dean turned to look at you as you looked at him.

He chuckled "But was able to help her more than that because she found the house she wanted right next to mine. So I gained the cutest neighbor of all at that... A-and of course the most amazing girlfriend a little while later." he hurried to add the last part.

"How romantic!" Hope said with a wide smile.

The smile flattered from your lips as of course realization downed on you once again. Neighbor. Babysitter. Friend. But never anything more. That was the reality and even if you could avoid it as much as you wanted these days, even if you could pretend you and Dean were together- that he truly felt the same way for you and that you did not have to hurt while hiding your feelings for him - the reality was entirely different. He wasn't and he was never going to be yours. Because he simply did not feel the same way as you. You could of course pretend but... that's just what you did every single time of your day and night as you watched Dean drive away to yet another woman waiting for him.