My Past Summer Fling; Is Now My Screwed Up Reality ~41~

"Oh, thank God!" Nina embraced me in a tight hug the minute she opened the door. I stood there motionless as she mumbled a string of apologies into my hair. I had never been hugged by her before, not even when she came to get me after my dad's funeral. It felt uncomfortable and wrong, maybe because I hadn't forgiven her for the birthday incident. I don't think I could.

I untangled her from me as nicely as I could and smiled tight-lipped at her.

"My toes are numb." I pushed past her and into the house, Riley right on my heels as he greeted Nina.

I heard her shut the door before she hurried to my side.

"Wait a second, are you alright? Where have you been? You're letter was pretty vague, you mind filling me in?" She fired her questions like a torpedo, her eyes wide with worry.

It took every muscle and fiber in my body not to snarl at her, instead I clenched my teeth and kept my expression calm.

"I'm fine, I just needed a break from everything. Where's my school work?" I changed the subject.

Nina blinked at me for a good minute and then turned away with furrowed brows. I shot Riley a pissed off look which he grinned at, while Nina fumbled around in a few drawers for my work. Alas she came up with a manilla folder, thick with papers. I inwardly groaned as she sat it in my outstretched hands.

"I'm glad you're home, Krys." Nina smiled.

I could say nothing to that, it was a struggle to even talk to her. I merely nodded and gave another tight-lipped smile.

"Riley's going to help me tackle this load of make-up stuff, it could take all night, I hope that's okay."

Nina looked at Riley who had a puppy dog pout on his face.

"I guess that's fine...Do you plan on going to school in the morning?"

I nodded.

"Yep, but don't worry we're taking the bus. Night."

I took Riley's hand and tugged him upstairs with me, hurrying into my room and shutting the door. Riley chuckled and took off his coat.

"Was it that bad?"

I sighed and stripped mine off as well.

"Kind of, I just don't like talking to her. I haven't forgiven her yet and it doesn't feel right to be nice."

Riley stepped out of his shoes and set them inside of my closet, taking mine and his coat and hanging them up as well.

"Well, you're doing a good job of hiding it."

I grimaced and walked into my den with the folder, sinking down onto my couch. This was the one place it felt good to be again, my room, my santuary.