His tell was his slightly unnoticeable fidgeting, he was rubbing his thumb up and down his little sisters hand. From out stand point it looked like he was comforting her, but I knew Logan well enough that it was just as much for his benefit then hers.

     I kept my face still and went to sit by my mother. She didn't even turn to me when she spoke, only keeping her eyes on Logan, "So this is the boy you ruined my trust for."

     My heart stopped, she figured it out. Of course she would, she's the Queen,  but still I was ignorant to believe in hope.

    "What do you mean mother-"

     She turned to me then and froze my throat, "Do not play stupid with me Evie or I will make each and every one of their deaths more painful than it already will be."

     I stood up and pushed her power out of me to speak, "You will not dare to touch them mother. They have done nothing wrong. No laws have been broken nor has any treason been committed."

     "You love this boy, and thats enough for me to disagree with."

     "Why?" I said in disbelief, "Why? I see you take lovers all the time, why is it so wrong when I do the same?"

     I know I embarrassed her, making her look like a whore in front of others but I didn't care, it was the truth. And she was acting unfair.

     "Because Evie, never have I ever fallen in love with one of them. They are always at my disposal."

     "What makes you think that I am in love with this" I waved towards Logan and tried to have enough disgust in my voice, "boy."

     "What do you think is going to happen Evie? That you two will fall in love, get married and move into a small cottage off in the villages? Or worse, did you actually believe that I would let this filth into my castle and let himself be crowned prince? He is just using you Evie to get a title."

     "So am I never allowed to get married? To bare children of my own?" I asked calmly. But there was worry in my voice. 

     She stood up from her throne then and walked towards me, I held my ground with my shoulders back and willed my face to stay neutral. My mother raised one of her perfect hands to my cheek and caressed it so gently, and without uttering a word she let a small smile slip from her lips with so much wickedness that I knew it was too late.

    When I tried to pull away she grabbed me by my throat with her left hand and raised her right towards Logan. Before I could stop her she sent sharp ice to his mother and sister, freezing them at once. And then she made her pale hand into a fist, crushing them both into shattered ice, killing them instantly.

      "NOOO!" Logan yelled in agony, his face displaying shock, hurt, and worse of all, pain. Pain that I caused because I was careless and selfish. He just stood there, yelling, holding thin broken ice pieces in his palms where moments before he was holding his family.

     I lifted my hands up to my mothers neck and with every hate in my core I started to freeze her until she released me. My power wasn't much to freeze her entirely but still I had given myself some time, I ran to get Logan. He didn't so much as protest as I grabbed him, some type of logic or instinct of survival was still pushing him to run, and together, hand in hand we headed for the door.

     We were almost out there too, just a few seconds away. However, luck was not on my side and the ice doors slammed with such force that they shattered to the ground. But that wasn't what made me stop in my tracks, It was Logan. His grip tightened around my fingers as he grunted. I turned to see a long and sharp ice tip covered in blood, piercing out of his chest.