22. Women

Luke

.

"Why are women so hard to figure out?"

Calum let out a small groan as he leaned back in his office chair, spinning in a circle.

I snorted. "So what's your problem? Is it Serenity?"

"Who else?" He mumbled in response, looking down at his hands as he fumbled with his fingers. I rolled my eyes.

"Sucks for you."

"Thanks for the advice, Luke. You're a great friend." Calum rolled his eyes back at me and grabbed his phone, unlocking it with one swipe. I shrugged and looked over at Michael, who had been silent ever since we arrived at Calum's dorm. I knew it was because of Ruby.

"Hey, Mikey."

He still stayed silent. His green eyes were glued to the floor as he leaned over the back of Oliver's office chair.

"Mikey," I said a little louder, shifting around in my seat. "Dude."

Michael finally looked up at me, snapping out of his thoughts. He looked confused for a few seconds before letting out a small sigh. He looked back down at the floor.

"I'm a terrible boyfriend," I heard him mutter. "I can't even help my girlfriend who's been feeling like shit for the past two weeks."

"Michael, don't say that. Ruby hasn't been reaching out to anyone lately, it's fine. We've been trying to get through to her, but she isn't cooperating, and that's not your fault."

"It sure as hell feels like it." Michael pressed his cheek against the back of the chair and shut his eyes. "I'm worried, Luke. Really worried. What if it's something serious?"

I frowned at him, shaking my head. "Stop worrying yourself. You're overthinking this. If it is something serious she would've told us by now."

"No, Luke, because if someone's going through a shit time in their life, sometimes they're not going to tell anyone. Not even their best friends."

I couldn't argue with that.

"Look, if it's any consolation, Mia's going to spend the day with her. She's going to find out what's wrong and she's going to tell us so we can help Ruby. She'll feel better in no time once we figure out what's making her so upset." I sighed, folding my arms as I leaned back in my seat. I looked up at the ceiling. "Everything will go back to normal soon."

"You'd better be right." Michael looked up at me, shaking his head before turning to Calum. His eyes narrowed and he cleared his throat. "Ahem. Mr. I'm-so-whipped, would you do us the pleasure of joining our conversation and putting the god damn phone down for one second?"

Calum rolled his eyes and pushed his finger down on the lock button, putting his phone aside. "I'm not whipped."

"Luke said the same thing a year ago, look where he is now." Michael retorted.

"Hey!" I snapped.

Michael and Calum both shrugged, looking over at me.

"Can't argue with that." Calum nodded towards the blue haired boy.

"Get over it, Luke, we went through this a year ago. We all know it's true now." Michael snorted. I groaned and shot them both a glare.

"I hate you both."

"Love you babe."

"Shut up, Calvin."

"Kiss my ass, thot."

We were both interrupted by the sound of my phone ringing and I reached into my pocket. I pulled out my phone and looked down at the screen.

Mia?

"Hey baby, what's up?" I spoke into the phone, crossing one of my legs over the other. I heard a sigh from the other end of the line.

"I'm sorry, were you busy? I can call back later." Mia sounded unusually anxious, which confused me even more.

"No, no, I was just talking to the guys. What's wrong? You sound really nervous, love." I said softly, furrowing my eyebrows as I looked down at my lap, picking at the rip in the knee of my jeans.

"Well, I'm standing a few doors away from Ruby's dorm and I - I haven't really thought this through, Luke." She groaned, and I'm pretty sure she had just smacked her forehead.

"Hey, everything will be okay. You have no reason to be nervous. She's been your best friend for ages, you've always been there for her." I reassured Mia, ignoring the eye rolls I received from the two idiots who were in the room with me.

"I'm afraid of what she might tell me, Luke. I hope nothing too bad has happened to her..." Her voice was quiet and she sounded even more anxious than she was a few moments ago.

"She'll be alright. She always is. You have nothing to worry about, yeah?" I smiled even though she couldn't see me. But I think she knew I had, because I could hear a smile in her voice too.

"Yeah, alright. Thanks, Luke."

"No problem."

"You can do this, Mia!" Calum yelled, earning an eye roll from me. I heard Mia giggle and I smiled even more at this.

"Tell Cal I said thank you. I've gotta go, but I'll tell you how everything went afterwards." I could hear some shuffling from her side of the line and I knew she was making her way towards Ruby's dorm. I nodded.

"Alright. Lo -" I stopped myself quickly, which made the two boys' eyes widen. "Talk to you later."

"Bye."

The call ended and I threw my phone to the side, avoiding eye contact with Calum and Michael, who were both staring at me, clearly pretty shocked.

"The fuck? You haven't told her yet?"
Michael snapped, shooting me a glare.

"No, I -"

"Luke, we went over this," Calum groaned, shaking his head in disappointment. "Stop chickening out."

"I didn't chicken out. Drew fucking Miller just happened to leave his stupid party at the same time I was about to confess my feelings for Mia." I glared at the wall to my right, as if it were Drew himself.

"That cunt ruined it again? How the hell did you not see that coming, Luke? It's obvious he doesn't want you two to be together." Michael raised his eyebrows, folding his arms across his chest.

"Well it should also be obvious that I'm in love with Mia, and that no bastard like him is ever going to change my feelings for her." I spat, snapping my head over to Michael. "If he honestly thinks that he's going to take her away from me, he has another thing coming."

He raised his hands in surrender, shrugging his shoulders. "Okaaay, well, maybe you should tell that to him instead of getting pissed at us."

"I hate when you're right."

"No one's answered my question yet."  Calum mumbled, glancing over at the two of us.

"And what was your question?" Michael raised an eyebrow, unlocking his phone after he pulled it out of his pocket.

"Why are women so hard to figure out?"

"That, my friend, will remain unknown, forever."