Chapter 46 - Are we going to die?

Start from the beginning

"Where's Quinlan?"

"At this point, we're not sure."

"What's happening?"

"Don't worry, everything's under control."

"Is the plan still in place?"

"We've had to make a few changes, but we'll explain once everyone's here."

"Are we going to die?"

"No."

On and on and on the questions go, and Justin and I do our best to answer them as we move from person to person. Eventually, though, the door at the back of the room opens to reveal Wayne and Helen, with the other five trailing not far behind them.

Helen looks awful; with puffy eyes and a red nose, it's not difficult to tell that she's been crying. I can't even begin to imagine what kind of hell she must be going through. She has just lost her mate, after all. It's difficult to see, though, her looking so broken; I've never even seen her slightly upset before, let alone crying.

Wayne, on the other hand, just looks extremely sombre. His mouth is set into a grim line and stress pinches at the corner of his eyes; it's not been a good night for anyone.

As soon as he sets sight on Justin, Wayne immediately makes his way over, gathering the attention of many people in the room.

"What's the plan?" he immediately asks, getting straight down to business, and Justin and I quickly explain it to him.

"It'll lessen our chances slightly but it's all we've got to go on right now," Justin says to finish off.

"I think it could work," Wayne agrees with a small nod. "We just need to find some order and get back into the swing of things. We already knew we were going to have to go up against them, it's just come a few hours sooner than expected. We need to tell everyone the plan of action so they can prepare themselves for what's about to happen."

I agree.

Justin and I both nod before the three of us make our way to the front of the room, causing the room to fall into instant silence as everyone awaits the news.

Carefully, we explain what's happened with the Baldwin situation, as not everyone's aware yet that we're two Pack members less, one Alpha down and one captive missing. The news doesn't go down well, as to be expected, but we troop on and plough through the shocked and upset outbursts. Yes, things didn't go to plan and, yes, people are obviously going to be grieving the loss of Max and John, but now is really not the time. Grief, anger and fear will all have to be pushed aside if we want to stand any kind of chance against the rogues.

When people are back to being semi-calm, we continue on to explain the few alterations to the plan. This time, instead of outbursts of shock, the Pack erupts into shouts of agreement and determination.

They're on board, all of them, which gives us one less thing to worry about.

As Justin and Wayne step forward to sort out the individual attack groups, I allow my eyes to scan over the familiar faces of my Pack. God, I hope everyone comes out of this fight alive tonight, losing two is two too many as it is. I frown when I realise that there's one person missing from the crowd, my eyes quickly double-checking to see if I'd just missed him by mistake. I hadn't missed him; where the hell is he?

With my frown still in place, I make my way over to where a tense looking Jess and Devlin are in deep conversation with a very worried looking Amy and Dean.

"Hey," I say, gaining the attention of all four of them. "Has anyone seen Beck?"

They all shake their heads and Amy speaks up.