Ch. 1

I groggily opened my eyes as I woke up, smacking my lips together as I yawned loudly, the way I always do in the early mornings. School would begin in a couple hours. It was still dark outside of my window, dim colors barely beginning to paint around the Las Vegas skyscrapers.

I threw my covers across my body and stepped over my best friend who was lying on the ground, or her 'bed' which was really just a fort of quilts and pillows, and blindly made my way to the bathroom.

I opened the bathroom door and felt along the walls until I flicked on the light switch and instantly squinted. Rubbing my eyes, I searched the cupboard under my sink until I found a light blue bath towel and slung it over the shower curtain. I looked at my appearance in the mirror which I normally try to avoid in the mornings.

There's no need to see how last night's sleep drunkenly pulls on my features and makes me look like a totally different person.My hair ran in waves down my spine and my complexion looked discolored due to my heavy rest.

How long was I asleep? 10 hours? Eve and I went to bed early last night. It's the first day of school, considering.

I sleepily rubbed my red cheeks and pulled down, letting out a hearty sigh, and then turned my music library on shuffle. I yawned  before removing my clothes from my lanky body, and stepping into the warm shower. Eleanor Rigby by the Beatles played as I mindlessly hummed along and pumped shampoo into my hair.

The way you look tonight by Frank Sinatra began to play and I smiled to myself as I automatically lowered my voice to sing in the same octave as Frank. Gah, what a legend he was. Or still is.

I've lived in Las Vegas, Nevada for as long as I could remember, 17 years to be exact. 17 and a senior in high school and currently sharing a bedroom with my best friend Eve whom is staying with us to also finish out the remaining semesters of her senior year.

I slipped my shoes on, tucking my fingers into the heel to slide my foot in and hollering, "Eve, are you almost ready?"

"Yeah almost, but I'll just meet you there. I have to drive to work after school anyway, so I should just drive my car!"

"Okay! See you fourth hour." I shouted back walking out the front door into feverish, summer air. It was almost fall, August 1st to be exact, and the leaves were beginning to show a slight change of color; however, the weather was still very warm and the sun shone out in the cloudless blue sky.

Las Vegas was always warm. Like living in the scorching fireplace of Satan's den. Maybe an exaggeration. But just walking to my car made the sweat gather on my upper lip.

I plugged my phone into the auxiliary of my car and let my music library continue:

"Fly me to the moon, let me play among the stars. Let me see what spring is like on, Jupiter and Mars. In other words, hold my hand."

I loved singing with all my heart but my voice was unfortunately average. My favorite place to sing was in the car because I could sing as loud as I wanted and feel no remorse because no one could even hear me. It was a curse really, to have such a prominent love for music but not feel particularly talented.

I cranked my window down and stuck my arm out as I mindlessly drove down the same, mundane road to school. One more year to go. The same faces, within the same neighborhood, within the same city. This city need some rearranging. Some excitement.

Anyone that's actually been to Las Vegas would know that it's vices are the only thing it actually has to offer. The rest is stretching desert and boring people.