Chapter One: Burning Sensation

A fiber of delightful smell spiraled up from the kitchen, creeping slowly under Reina's nose

              A fiber of delightful smell spiraled up from the kitchen, creeping slowly under Reina's nose. She felt it caress her nostrils like the wind blows the greenery. Spaghetti, she thought, tracing the tempting aroma with her nose. She tiptoed down the staircase nonchalantly peeking at her mother, seated, and making some tea. Her tummy growled.

"Smells delicious" she walked into the kitchen with a bright smile, her eyes darted on the steaming goodness settled in the middle of the table. Her mother took a sip of her tea eyeing her to sit across her. Reina grabbed a fork, saucer and pulled a chair. She licked the fork before piercing the meatball. "Oh that's hot" she said puffing steam off it. The doorbell rang making her turn head to the door. They wondered who that might be.

"Go check it out" her mother said looking over the rim of the teacup. She pranced up dashing to open the door but nobody was there. She step foot outside to investigate, a delivery truck just turned into the corner, she then spotted a huge long box lying beside the door step. Tilting her head with curiosity, she picked it up, shaking it to decipher the content. It's kinda bulky. She could feel the content sliding inside as she held it up.

"Did you order something?" she asked her mother while dragging the box, reading the stamp content. It was addressed to her mother.

"Open it" Reina gave her mother an are you sure look. She grabbed a pair of scissors from the counter drawer and started cutting the tapes on the lid. Beneath the crisp paper,  she reached onto a delicate, lilac blue garment and held it above her head. Her face lit with excitement realizing what the garb was for.

"Oh mom! Thank you!" she gave her mom the brightest smile, standing to size up the gown. She twirled twice hugging it on her chest forgetting her hungry belly. She gave her mother a hug.

"I say, you fit into that my princess" exhilarated, they went to her room. Reina slid herself into the dress. Her mother rested her long dark hair on one shoulder revealing her birthmark. Reina felt her mother touching it. "Time flies by fast. I could still remember the doctors making fuzz over this mark when I gave birth to you, like it was yesterday. And now you're fitting a gown for prom." she said tightening the laces on her back. People were always amazed by her birthmark. Reina, for one, was impressed by it. It remarkably mirrors a pair of wings spreading to the length of her shoulder. Some had mistaken it as tattoo for being too detailed. Like the appearance of a mark made by a branding iron, used centuries ago.

"Maybe wings would sprout and fly me to the sky" Reina chuckled. That would be nice-- she thought. Gliding through the wind, overlooking her hometown and not having the trouble to spend sitting in bus to school. Reina began fantasizing things. "This time, can you do my hair up?"

"Hair up? why?" her mother wondered.

"I always had my hair down. Wouldn't it be nice to tie it up so I can flaunt how beautiful my birthmark is?" she said looking at her mother through the mirror.