Act Three: Roles Of Envy

Brendon tugged at Dallon's arm, rushing to the drama room. "Results go up today! Babe, please hurry!" Brendon groaned, leaning back on his heels. He kept hold of Dallon's hand for support, making him laugh.

"I'm sure you got it." Dallon assured him, allowing Brendon to tug him along.

There was already a small group gathered outside of the drama room, hoping for the taped up results to lean in their favor. Brendon stopped when he reached the back of the crowd, biting his lip nervously.

"I was a bit sharp on that one note..." He muttered, "That'll probably be what kills me... People always complain about me singing too sharp..."

Dallon rolled his eyes as Brendon continued to list off his reasonings of why he would miss the part. Dallon draped an arm over the shorter boys shoulders and pulled him close.

"Would you calm down?"

Brendon looked up at him with a skeptical look. "At least you don't have to audition for stage crew." He replied softly, "You're like the only guy that can reach the lightbulbs without a ladder."

Dallon nudged Brendon, making him smile. The crowd moved forward slowly, resulting in a mixture of happiness and disappointment. When Brendon was just a few students away from the list, he turned back to Dallon.

"If I didn't make it, will you buy me a milkshake to make it better?" He pouted.

Dallon just smirked. "How about, when you make it, I'll kiss you to make it even better?"

Brendon giggled, nodding his head. Before he could reply, however, Ashley rushed over to him.

"Brendon! You got the lead!" She exclaimed, jumping up and down. "You're lead and I got Jasmine!"

Brendon cried out in success. He grabbed Ashley around her waist and spun her as they both spewed excited gibberish.

Dallon felt excited for the two of them, but felt himself become a bit jealous at the same time. He and Brendon didn't really do anything different since becoming a couple. It was still a lot of flirting and playfulness, but they had yet to hold hands or even kiss. It had only been through the through the weekend, but Dallon couldn't help his feelings.

Weren't things supposed to change just a bit with a relationship?

"We have to rehearse as soon as we can!" Brendon exclaimed as he slowed his spinning. He set Ashley down and she nodded eagerly.

"We can pick up our scripts and practice at lunch today?" She asked with red flushed cheeks.

Brendon nodded. "Definitely." He followed Ashley as she walked into the drama room, chatting happily. Dallon was left in the hall outside. He let out a quiet sigh. Maybe this was just a bad time to have said yes to going out with Brendon...

---

It was lunch time, later that day. Dallon pushed a crappy cafeteria salad around in its plastic container as Brendon and Ashley sat under a tree by the lunch bench, highlighting their scripts. At the table with Dallon, were some other drama students.

"Don't worry, Pete, at least you're still in the production." One of them, Kenny, spoke up to a boy looking sadly at his pizza.

Pete sighed. "The royal guard is cool and all, but I was really looking forward to being blue."

"Get over it, Pete." The other boy sitting with the group, Patrick, said as he looked over his own script.

"Being blue is better than being over it." Pete said, crossing his arms. He tilted his head at Patrick. "Aren't you disappointed that you missed being the lead?"

Patrick shook his head. "Background characters are just as fun." He grinned.

Pete turned to Dallon, maintaining his head tilt. "What about you, Dallon? How's it feel to be dating the star?"

Dallon stabbed at a piece of lettuce. Brendon had posted their 'first official date' on instagram, so it wasn't a secret to anyone. It just felt like now that they were a thing, he was being ignored.

"That lettuce stabbing makes it seem not so good." Kenny said with a nervous chuckle, "Trouble in paradise?"

"It's nothing..." Dallon muttered, bringing the green leaf to his mouth and taking a bite. He was sure he would get over it if he focused on something else. "Patrick, how's it to play the villain?"

Patrick looked up with a grin. "Exciting!" He laughed, "Even if I am going to be in a giant parrot suit for witty one liners."

"I can't believe the cast list." Pete sighed, "Sultan is Spencer, Jafar is Gerard, and genie is freaking Josh..."

"C'mon, Pete, don't be salty that Josh got the part." Patrick tapped Pete's head sympathetically, "You prefer acting more to singing anyway."

Kenny waved his hand over his head. "I think the blue hair helped his case." He shrugged.

Dallon looked over at Brendon and Ashley, who were sitting under the tree. They were shoulder to shoulder, laughing down at the paper in their laps. Their hands were covered in highlighter marks and scribbles. It seemed like they were messing around more than rehearsing.

Dallon shook his head. He shouldn't be so jealous. It was just for the play. As soon as it was over, things would go back to the way they were... Right?