Chapter Four: Confessions and Calls

Jane's POV

When we finally reached the shelter of our tiny, dreary apartment, it was around three in the afternoon. Darcy and Ian placed all the food that could still be considered edible into the fridge, before hiding in their room. I quickly stripped down and dried off, wrapped myself in my thick woolly dressing gown, and tied my hair back. The heavy rain pounded against the roof, and hammered against the windows. Thor was in the bathroom, changing into his pajama bottoms. My fingers were numb, so I huddled up in an armchair, knees drawn up to my chest. Erik had been in his room the entire time we were out, reading up on a new theory about black holes. Besides the rain, the apartment was oddly quiet, and after a while, the heavy patter became almost rhythmic. I closed my eyes, and enjoyed the darkness, reflecting on the day's events. I saw Thor laying next to me, the four of us in the park, and that wonderful, wonderful moment in the rain. Just thinking about it made heat rush to my cheeks, and I laughed at myself, lucky enough to have found a man like him. I felt a presence beside me, and looked up. Thor stood next to me, and I raised to meet him.

"Hi," I said, which I instantly regretted. 'Hi' made me sound like a foolish teenage girl who's desperately obsessed with the star soccer player at her high school, despite the desperately obsessed part being right.

"Hi," He said back. Glistening droplets of water trickled slowly down his chest, and I tried my hardest not to stare, as each one left behind a trace of its journey. Instead, I studied his face, dazzling blue eyes and full pink lips, defined jaw and long hair, darkened with moisture. "I was wondering," He took one of my hands, and laced it with his own. The earlier numbness was now replaced with a warm tingling sensation. "If you would help me." I raised an eyebrow.

"What would you like me to help you with?" Interlocking my other hand with his, he smiled.

"I was rather hoping to find the woman that I...love." His gaze remained constant, unfazed by what he had just said. I, however, was not calm like him. I was outraged, and startled. After all he had said to me, about leaving Asgard to be with me, this now didn't make sense. I tried not to look disappointed.
"Oh, well... Do you have a picture or any information about her? I'm sure we can track her down." I tried to remove my hands from his, but they were so large that mine couldn't escape. Plastering a smile on my face, I glanced up at Thor, his eyes twinkling.
"She's around yay high," he gestured, bringing his right hand level to just below his chin, before holding mine again. "She's incredibly intelligent and funny and above all that she's kind."

"Ooookay." I said, trying not to let my confusion show. Thor smiled slightly, trying to stifle a laugh. I guessed I wasn't coming across as natural.

"She has the most beautiful dark eyes, that glitter, like sun gleaming on the towers and spires back on Asgard." His hands disconnected from mine, and snaked around to the back of my head. Slowly and gently, he pulled the hair band holding my ponytail in place, sliding it down until my hair cascaded over my shoulders. The whole time, his eyes never left mine. Two large hands placed themselves on my waist with a tenderness I could've never imagined. The touch was so light, I felt I was dreaming it. I shuffled nervously, and looked away from his stunning eyes. He took a small step forward, pulling me closer to him. Despite my mental protests, my hands moved to the back of his neck, his skin warm yet hair cold. His left hand cupped my face, and a musky smell engulfed me - his shower gel.

"You." He whispered, his face just inches from mine. His deep, gravely tone was enough to send entire armies of aliens running back in the direction they came. I blinked, and suddenly his lips were on mine. Despite the swiftness of the action, there was no pressure or harshness. His kiss was the only thing I needed. Everything else melted away. I internally cursed myself for being so naive and stupid. The rain pelting against the roof faded away, the only sound the pounding of my heart in my ears. His fingers crawled round, pressing the ticklish material of my dressing gown against my back. I laughed, and had to pull away, resting my forehead against the bridge of his nose.