Chapter 3: Stolen

Start from the beginning

Terrwyn looked to the sky for help but said nothing, not when Aricia was giving her that mischievous sidelong looks of hers. With any luck these new diplomats would provide enough of a distraction the princess would forget about last night's stranger.

Though, she had to admit, he was hard to forget. As she walked Aricia back, she couldn't help but wonder who the man was and why he'd disappeared so quickly. Also how. It would be a useful skill to learn, for her as well as her men, if it was something you could learn.

She waved goodbye to Aricia when they reached her rooms, leaving the princess to get ready and trusting the men on duty at the doors in case of any issues. Not that there ever was, but Terrwyn believed in being cautious, especially with Aricia's safety. It was her duty.

Returning to her own rooms, down the hall from the princess's, Terrwyn kicked the thick wooden door shut behind her. Her small sitting room full of antique but worn furniture was tidy, the room dim, with only two lanterns lit. She moved quickly through, not really needing the light to know where to step.

Her bedroom was far brighter, the small window open, letting the orange sunlight in. She closed the thin curtains, obscuring her rather boring view of the kitchen gardens, and turned towards her wardrobe. Like the rest of her furniture, given to her as part of her position, it was worn but sturdy. She pulled out a set of her formal uniform. A silvery grey with piping in the forest green of the regular palace-guard uniform, it was surprising comfortable for the severity of it, so Terrwyn didn't even glance at her usual armour. Especially since Aricia had made her feelings clear about her wearing it to dinner. More than once.

She changed quickly, tightening her sword belt around her waist and double checking the placement of the few knives she wore. Once she was ready, Terrwyn headed to Aricia's rooms. She nodded at the two men on duty, Istvan and Savill, who saluted, then knocked on the door.

It opened almost immediately, one of the maids ushering her in. Terrwyn could hear Aricia's voice coming from the other room and sighed. She had taken only a few steps when the princess's voice went quiet. She poked her head in. Bethia was handing Aricia a deep-pink dress while a pale purple gown lay crumpled on the floor. Knowing both women's preferences told her all she needed.

Terrwyn leaned against the stone walls between two tapestries, one depicting the legendary sealing of the monster Slel, watching Bethia first lace Aricia into the dress then begin work on the princess's hair. There wasn't much that needed to be done since she'd had her hair pinned up in the morning, but some tendrils always escaped. Adding a few small jewelled pins to surround a larger one at the back of her hair helped transform Aricia's look into something appropriate for greeting diplomats.

Reflexively Terrwyn checked her own tight braid, finding it, as always, wrapped around her head. Keeping her hair long was the only vanity she allowed herself. Also her mother would kill her if she cut it, and even as an adult, her mother still scared her.

It wasn't much longer before Aricia was ready and Terrwyn could fall into step behind her as they exited her rooms. Istvan and Savill stayed where they were, saluting them as they passed. Aricia gave them both a smile as they went by, but said nothing. Not that Terrwyn expected her to. In public, she was the princess first and foremost.

Down the hall they went, past the palace guards stationed at the royal quarters, and into the area that housed most of the nobles who lived at court. Only a few people lingered, mostly young men, all of them bowing deeply to Aricia. Terrwyn eyed them, not liking the barely hidden expression of hunger some wore. For all the gold in the kingdom, she wouldn't change places with the princess.

Aricia nodded her acceptance of their attention, but otherwise ignored them. Terrwyn kept close and wore the stonily blank expression she favoured while on duty. It discouraged people from trying to get information out of her and helped counter the impression her youth gave people. At least, she hoped it did.

They descended the wide stone stairs covered in a thick green carpet, then turned down the nearest hall to head towards the great dining hall. Lit by enormous crystal chandeliers that each held almost a hundred candles, the sight of the room never ceased to impress Terrwyn. On a raised dais was the elegantly carved mahogany table where Aricia would sit, her parents and sister already standing there, talking to the evening's guests.

Below the dais in neat rows were the other tables, each place at them carefully assigned based on degree of nobility, age and distinction. How the seneschal avoided offending people, Terrwyn had no idea, but she was glad he did. Her own table, if she were eating at court that night, was the one farthest from the royal end of the dais.

She turned her attention back to looking over everyone they passed, most bowing and murmuring, "Your Highness." Aricia swept them with a smile, making each feel like she met their eyes individually, a skill Terrwyn had seen the princess practice. She might tease her for being serious about her job, but Aricia was just as dedicated to her own position.

Climbing the dais, Terrwyn fell an extra step behind as they approached the royal family. King Stavros smiled at his daughter, waving her over. "Ah, Aricia. On time as always," he said, nodding at Terrwyn. "Thank you, Sir Terrwyn. You always take such care."

She bowed deeply. "It is my honour and duty, Your Majesty."

He smiled, turning his scrutiny to Aricia. Terrwyn stepped back then, moving to her position behind Aricia's seat and against the wall. From there she had a good view of the whole room and all the entrances and exits, including the windows. The king and queen's personal guards were in similar positions.

With Aricia's arrival, the dining hall quickly filled, everyone heading to their assigned seats with the usual chatter and laughter. The high windows showed the sun was gone or mostly so, the sky a deepening blue so the chandeliers' light seemed to glow all the brighter. They cast shadows throughout the hall and reflected off the various gems and precious metals adorning the nobles below, making everyone seem to glitter.

It was a pretty sight, one Terrwyn ignored. She scanned the room again but saw nothing out of the ordinary. Another peaceful dinner after another peaceful day. Just the way it should be.

She watched the royal family take their seats, the signal for everyone else to do the same. Aricia moved gracefully to her place, carefully arranging her skirts as she sat, her head held high. Something shifted beneath the table, making Terrwyn stiffen and turn her head so she could get a better look. But there was nothing there, only the stone floor, Aricia's feet, and the deep shadow cast by the table.

Terrwyn frowned and dropped a hand to her sword hilt. Something wasn't right. She looked around again but couldn't pinpoint the problem. The other guards didn't look worked up, though two were watching her with significant looks.

She waited an extra minute then shook her head and resumed her position. Maybe she'd had more to drink last night than she'd thought. Maybe that was what had her on edge, a hangover she was only now—

Movement snapped her attention back to Aricia, only this time it wasn't slight. Like a small wave, darkness came out from under the table and rose up, resolving itself into a black-haired man dressed in dark leathers. Terrwyn only managed a single step forward before he grabbed Aricia and yanked the princess towards him.

Terrwyn watched as the world seemed to slow, her hands scrabbling for her sword as each step forward seemed to take a minute. She could do nothing as the stranger clapped a cloth over Aricia's face as the princess began to struggle. Terrwyn was only a few steps shy of them when the darkness rose up and covered both.

Terrwyn skittered to a stop in the spot that Aricia had just been, sword in one hand, eyes wide and staring.