27. "piece of art"

D E R E K

"You're thinking about her again, aren't you?"

Sophia sits up from the bed, getting her phone from the bedside table while scrolling through text messages as a puff of smoke comes from my mouth.

"I'm sorry," I close my eyes. How shitty of me to think about Rose again. This isn't fair to Sophia.

"It's fine, Derek. It's just-it's been more than five months since you last saw her," she crosses her arms as she stands from the bed. Sophia was wearing a pink tank top aswell as black shorts.

Waking up from a nap to hear me weeping isn't the best since I cry very loudly. The only thing that shut me up at night was weed. "I know," I agree.

"Derek, would you like to go out today?" She asks me, "I want to hang out with you. I don't want to just be known as a friend with benefits in your mind."

I barely even heard what she just said, but I just nodded. "Sure, sweetheart. Sure."

I met Sophia at a bar.

She was sitting alone while chugging down a beer, looking around for fun. Approaching her, I walk up swiftly. Constantly checking my phone to see if Rose answered to any of my calls or texts.

Without a house and only about three thousand on me, Sophia took me in to her apartment. "This might be the dumbest thing I've ever done," she said while opening the door to her apartment, looking back at me, she grinned. "But maybe the smartest."

Sophia was the sweetest thing ever.

I almost slept with her that night, but it was different. It was love. Sophia and I were meant to be together, I felt it.

But Rose- memories just keep haunting me. How she said she loved me, how her and I just- all around.

"Derek, you go shower first," Sophia whispers, as I finally pay attention, smiling.

"You're showering with me, saves water for the fishes, right?" She comes over to my side as I kiss her cheek. She then sits on my lap as I pick her up bridal way to the bathroom.

After the shower, we both dry off and change. Then, we left the flat to go where-ever Sophia wanted.

With Sophia driving I was nervous the whole way, she isn't the best on the road. "We're going to a museum," she hums to the song on the radio, smiling as I cock my head towards her. "Remember you saying that you use to do art, until you moved here."

"That's right," I cross my arms as I look down at my phone, "I'm actually excited."

"For once," she giggles as she then swivels the car to the right.

"I'm not upset most of the time," I disagree, smirking as she then shrugs.

Finally we got to our destination, the museum. The building was gigantic and full of color. Having to pay ten dollars per person was actually very cheap. As Sophia handed the money to the man with the tickets I slip a twenty in her back pocket.

Wow. Rose would probably lov-Rose, get out of my goddamn head.

Entering the actual room where paintings were located Sophia places her hand into mine, interlocking our hands together.

She squeals when she sees a painting that's pretty. Tugging on my hand, I follow behind her as she takes a photo with her phone.

"You're so beautiful," I mutter in her ear as she looks behind her to see me staring into her eyes. She grins.

"No," she blushes, pushing her dirty blonde hair behind her ear.

"You're like a piece of art," I tell her as she leans in for a kiss.

Kissing her felt like I was in the middle of the ocean with her. Like we were lost at sea. Is this what it feels like to kiss someone you love?

Because I've never felt like this with Rose.