“AJ,” I look at Lexie, “was so caring. My silent wall. My Medicine man.” I smile at the thought. My heart flutters and I feel my stomach squirms.

“Tell me more about your story - just the two of you. Take Jeremy out of the picture.” Lexie smiled back.

“Okay”. I said and my mood lightens.

I rewind to the past again.

AJ and I became friends after Lexie left. I used to tell him everything that happened to me every day and he’s doing the same thing. Singing, jogging or just hanging out, he diligently kept me company. When I’m lonely, he will go to my house with a guitar sling at his and he will sing to me the whole day. He sings everything that I wanted him to sing. We study together during exams and he was always warm, supportive and kind to me.

“Sam?” I heard someone called me but I guess it was part of the memories. “Sam!” Lexie spanked me. I can see she’s annoyed. “Why are you blacking out?”

“Oh I’m sorry. I was lost in thought again.” I was on my nervous smile. “Okay. I’ll tell you.”

Sighing is something I’m used to these days. I’ve been emptying these heavy feelings out of my chest and little by little I feel relieved. So I recalled my memories with Lexie again.

-----

 Summer 2008

The Sun is almost at its peak and Lexie is ready to go but I am still in my pajama, sitting in the couch by the windows in the living room with my knees on my chin, feeling poignant on what is coming. Lexie have been ringing my phone but I’m twisted inside of either I will pick it up or not. For some reason I wanted her to realize that going abroad means will not talk to each other that much and that she will miss me. It was selfish, as much as I don’t want to but she’s my only true friend. Well, there’s AJ but it’s not the same as Lexie.

Speaking of it, I saw AJ running in our pathway all the way to our front door. He glanced my way and waves his hand with his warm smile. I Smile back and heard his knocks on the door. I stood up and walk timidly to open the door. AJ is in gray shirt, tattered jeans and messy chestnut hair.

“Hey.” He said, looking anxious.

“Hey.” I said back lazily.

He studied me from head to toe and raises an eyebrow.  

“I see you haven’t change. Lexie will be leaving in 3 hours.” He said. I walked away from the open door and slump back to the couch. AJ followed me and close the door gingerly.

“Don’t be sad.” He said after he sat on the single-sitter couch in front of me. “You still have me. We’re already closed right? “He said with a smile on his face. He rested his elbows on his knees for a while and stood up.

He grabbed my hand and dragged me upstairs. My feet buckled up as I unwillingly followed his footsteps.

“Come on, I need you to take a shower and dress up within 30 minutes.” He said and pushed me inside my room but before I was totally in I grab him inside with me.

“It’s not like you’ll get in with me in the bathroom. Are you? So, stay here instead of standing outside the door like my personal guard.” I said and push him to sit down on my bed. “I’ll be quick” I turned and walk to the bathroom.

This “skin-ship” is starting to be a habit. The touch of his skin on mine sends shiver down my spine and to the pit of my stomach. I slammed the door of the bathroom and release a suppress giggle. Suddenly, my loathing for Lexie’s departure was replaced with butterflies in my stomach that flutters all the way to my heart. I think I’m falling for him but shook it off because I am sure it’s not right.

I took a shower as fast as I can. I don’t want to keep him waiting, more so Lexie though I’m a bit sad of her departure but this is inevitable and for her future.

When I got out of the bathroom, AJ’s facing the open window with his broad back on me. His statuesque body, perfectly sculptured by God at a very young age made me realized that he’s a good keep. But I have a boyfriend now and I don’t think AJ has the same thought as I do. We’re sweet with each other because we care for each other and that makes us friends. I stood still by the door undecided of weather I let him stay or for morality reason ask him to go out first.

“I will wait for you outside” He said, walking towards the door without glancing my way.

“Okay” I couldn’t agree less, relieved that it’s not me who said it.

I put on my summer dress; flowers painted, above knee length dress and match it with a flat string sandal. I also put a little blush-on and a slightly red matt lipstick. My hair is still wet and blowing it dry was never my style. I walk slowly on the stairs and saw AJ animated talking to my Dad. He has a cup on his hand that I’m sure Dad gave it to him. Now that I was looking down at them, I realized Dad has growing gray hairs. He is surely getting old and I’m still too young for him to be old. I love my Dad, maybe more than my Mom. Seriously, I am close to him than I did with my mom for some reason.

“Hey” I said as soon as I got downstairs.”Good morning Dad.” He’s full smile and seems amused.”What are you guys talking about?” I said pretending to be annoyed. It made my Dad laugh and said it was nothing and we better go. AJ did laugh to and agreed on going ahead. We bade goodbye.

AJ opened the door and let me pass through. He waved goodbye to my father who is now sitting at the dean with newspaper on his hand. After he closed the door, he walk ahead of me and pulled out his keys from his wallet. I followed without any questions even deep inside I was expecting of something gentleman do. Like, letting me walk first or perhaps hold my arm to make sure I won’t fall on my knees. Things like that, but why he needs to do that? I scolded myself for expecting. Why am I expecting? While I was busy arguing with my unsettled thoughts I hear a loud honk and I saw AJ already at the driver seat. Enough for wanting a gentleman.

I opened the door of his VW 2005 Passat’s passenger seat.

“Enough wishing for gentleman.” I said and climb to take a sit. AJ, faked a broken hearted expression.

“Ouch!” I heard him say.

“Yeah!” I turned to look at him and we both break into a laugh. After laughing hard and end with a high five, I buckled my seat belt and AJ starts the engine to the airport.

The One that got awayOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara