iv. eisodos

EISODOS THE FIRST SONG SUNG BY THE CHORUS AFTER ITS ENTRANCE, A PASSAGE LEADING INTO THE ORCHESTRA.

March 23, 2018

Dear Miss Amira Simaika,

After heavily reviewing your application, the Kennedy-Ludgar Youth Exchange and Study Program is pleased to accept you as one of the recipients of our scholarship. The YES Program is hosted by AFS Egypt through AFS America. All candidates go through a rigorous selection process; those selected are the ones that we feel can represent Egypt's country and culture the best while keeping up their academic prowess.

While abroad in America, you will live with a host family from two to three months, attend high school at your equivalent grade level, and participate in extracurricular activities that expose you to an American culture and lifestyle. In previous years, over seventy-five students have gone on to share their experiences with host families all over the country. Your education does not stop while in America: while overseas, you must complete a series of assignments related to your exchange experience.

Prior to the exchange, you and all the other scholarship recipients must undergo a six-month process encompassing orientation and training camps. These will prepare you for the culture shock of America that most students unfortunately experience. YES Program meetings will be held biweekly for the first three months and weekly for the last three months; it is expected that you attend every single one of them, or you will be penalized. A crash course syllabus is attached; at the end of six months, you will be familiar with the subjects listed: from American currency, to politics, to their school system, to everyday life as an American teenager. Assignments to your American host family will happen about halfway through, around the third or fourth month.

Those who choose to travel to America in October are expected to attend the first information session next Saturday, at مدرسة الإسماعيلية الثانوية بنين, El-Zohour. Those who choose to travel in February of next year should go to the information session focused on hosting an exchange student.

The value for the two month program comes to about $6,900. The value for the three month program comes to about $7,300. This should be paid in the form of cheque or card in four installments, the first of which is due in two weeks. Cheques can be made to AFS Egypt.

Congratulations on your acceptance, and it is our greatest wish that you will flourish in our program.

My regards,

Eleara Shoukry
Administrative Director