56 | Glad You Came

Start from the beginning

"How would you know?" She scoffs.

Well okay then.

"Sorry, I don't mean to be rude," she quickly apologized upon seeing my surprised and slightly hurt expression. I shrug it off. "It's okay. And I know because my brother is in a band. Literally everyone here knows about them, so they're always hounding me about them," I say. Jess's eyes widen after I'm done talking.

"Oh yeah, you're Rya Hemmings!" She whispers. "I didn't even make the connection until now, sorry," she says with a giggle. I smile at the mention of the guys. I miss them. We've been trying to keep in touch, but it's hard because of the time difference, school, and their shows and interviews.

"I remember hearing about your friend,
I'm really sorry," she whispers. I forget sometimes that it was all over the news and social media. Oh, the joys of being the little sister of a famous band member. I can't believe that someone all the way from California heard about that, though.

"Yeah, it sucks," a familiar voice rings out.

Macy. Oh, how lovely.

"If only you had been able to stop her from climbing the tree," Macy sighs with a fake sad voice. "But that's no surprise, you can't do anything right."

"Macy," Caden hisses, but she ignores him.

"Then she'd still be alive. It should've been you who died, not her."

The words stick in my brain, no matter how hard I try to push them away. They mean nothing, I shouldn't let her words affect me.

But they do.

Before I know it, hot tears are running down my cheeks. I quickly run out of the lunchroom, planning on going to the bathroom, but my legs seem to have another idea. Before I can process what my feet are doing for the second time today, they're already running out of the school and down the sidewalk. My mind races as I sprint home. I was doing so well with being okay with her death. Why do Macy's words affect me so much? Why do they have so much power over me? I don't know, but I know like it.

I run inside and slam my front door, take the stairs two at a time, and flop down face first on my bed before letting my strangled sobs out. I climb into my bed and bury myself under the covers, panting and heaving and crying until I tire myself out and am only half away. But Macy's words still ring loud and clear in my ears.

It should have been me instead of her.

I'm only vaguely aware of my door opening and two familiar figures sitting on my bed. I wipe my eyes and try to compose myself as I push myself into a sitting position.

"Don't listen to what she says, Rya. She's a brat," Caden says, resting his hand on my shoulder. Jess gives me a sad smile from the edge of my bed, and I manage to smile back. "Thanks," I say with a small giggle, sniffling and wiping my eyes.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to run off like that," I whisper, adjusting my legs so I'm sitting criss-cross. "I also didn't mean for you to be introduced to my house and family this way. I'm sure they'll be home soon," I say. Jess just shrugs and moves to sit on my right side.

"It's okay. What Macy said was horrible and low. Don't listen to her." I nod and check the time on my phone. It's only one o'clock; school doesn't end for another two hours, but I really don't want to go back.

"We should skip the rest of the day, you only live one," Caden smirks with a smile, reading my mind. Jess and I nod in agreement and I wipe my eyes one last time. Just as we're about to go downstairs and busy ourselves until school lets out, my phone buzzes. Ashton is face timing me, but why? He should know I'm in school right now. I debate whether or not I should answer until Caden presses the accept button and I glare at him in a panic. Ashton will know right away I've been crying, and then he'll tell Luke. Before I have a chance to protest, his grinning face pops up on the screen.

"Hi Rya! I've been told you have a free period right now so I thought I'd give you call — hey, what's wrong?" As suspected, he takes noticed of my post-sobbing face. He's witnessed enough times to know.

"Nothing, I'm fine," I say, forcing a smile. Ashton narrows his eyes with a scoff.

"You're obviously not; your eyes are red and puffy and there are tear tracks on your cheeks. And you're in your room, so I'm assuming someone said something that made you upset and you ran home. Am I close?"

I sigh and fiddle with my fingers. Caden and Jess have moved out of view and are sitting at the foot of my bed.

"I don't wanna talk about it," I mumble. Caden kicks my foot, so I glare at him.

Ashton pauses before a see a glimmer flash in his eyes. It's gone as quickly as it appeared, but I know he's up to something. Oh, no. I have a feeling I know what he's about to do.

"Luke! Get in here!" Ashton yells.

"Leave me alone, I'm sick of your stupid face!" He shouts back. Typical. I giggle as Ashton pouts.

"Rya's upset, she needs brotherly advice!" Ashton shouts back. I groan and cover my face with a pillow as three other voices chorus together. I peek out to see all four boys crammed into the screen. Luke shoves them all behind him and stares into the screen.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" He asks worriedly. I push the pillow harder into my face and grown.

"Don't suffocate yourself," Ashton warns jokingly. I emerge my face to glare at him, which he chuckles at.

"We're you crying? Why were you crying? What happened?" Luke questions.

I finally give up and explain what Macy said to me. All the boys look angry.

"Like I said; bitch," Michael states. No one denies it this time, because it's true, as mean as it is.

"I replay that day all the time. I wish I could've done something more," I mumble.

"But you couldn't. It wasn't your fault, Rya, no matter what anyone else says. Hell, Macy wasn't even there, she doesn't know anything. Don't let a comment from someone as irrelevant as her get to you." I nod and roll onto my stomach. "Okay," I whisper.

"And now we send you virtual hugs and ride off into the sunset for a happily ever after!" Michael exclaims, making me laugh.

"Seriously, don't let her get to you," Luke concludes, and I nod. "Have a good day, I love you."

"I love you too, Lukey."

A/N - Oh wow I actually wrote a long chapter! I feel like they've been getting shorter lately so woo here's a long chapter, enjoy!

What do you think about Macy? What do you think Rya will do? What do you think will happen? Tell me what you think!

Also! My sounds live FEELS live show is TOMORROW! Aaannd, Luke got a haircut. I'm okay, I'm okay, I'm totally okay yep yep yep!  Anyway, I hope you all have a great day/night! Xoxo - Em😊💚