32 | Live While We're Young

Rya's POV;

The week went by, not slow and not fast. It was just normal, I guess. I have to admit though, I got very tired very fast of everyone fawning over me for being 'Luke's Little Sister.' I hate the label. I want people to know me for me, not because of him. Don't get me wrong, I'm so so so grateful to be his little sister, but I don't like living in his shadow. The only reason I'm so well known and liked is because of him. If he didn't exist, or if he wasn't my brother, I'd be nothing at school. 

I shake those thoughts out of my head as I get ready to meet Willow at the park. We usually go to the park on weekends if it's nice out because we're growing girls, so we need our exercise every so often.

"We should go on an adventure," Willow declares as we arrive in the park. I giggle as we sit on the old swing set on the edge of the playground, gently rocking back and forth.

"What kind of adventure?" I ask, intrigued to have some fun before we have to go back to school on Monday.

Willow rubs her chin, staring off into the distance. "Let's build a fort!" She exclaims, jumping off the swing and sprinting towards the wooded area behind the park. I laugh as I chase after her.

"Hurry! You're going to get caught by the Bad Ones!" Willow shouts as she dives down onto the grass. She army crawls under a low tree branch and I follow her lead, sitting up and panting a little.

"Now, we have to build our hideout," she declares, dramatically looking from side to side. "The coast is clear, let's go." She motions for me to follow and we skip through the brush in search of large, long, sticks to use to build a fort.

I find three medium sized ones so I gather them and make my way back to our fort, leaning the sticks against the low branch for support. Willow returns with more sticks and follows my lead. Slowly, our little area begins to take on the shape of a tiny log cabin.

We spend a good two hours lugging sticks back and forth and setting them up in a way so they won't fall. We have a fair portion done when my phone buzzes. I lean against one of the trees and check to see mum has texted me to say it's time for a lunch break. I notify Willow and we race back to my house, where mum has prepared us Mac N' Cheese, hot dogs, and a little bowl of mixed fruit.

She gives us skeptical looks as we run inside panting and covered in dirt and leaves.

"What have you been up to?" She asks with a disapproving look on her face. I can tell she's trying to hold back a laugh though. Willow then launches into a very dramatic story about how we were under attack in the park and had to hide in the woods. Mum leans against the counter and laughs as Willow makes up more details, only making the story sound more obnoxious.

Once we've washed up and finished eating our lunch, Willow takes off toward the park again, determined to finish our fort.

"It's going to be to coolest thing ever, and it's far enough into the woods so no one else will find it. If we finish soon, we should add onto it next weekend! If we add on every chance we have we could make a mansion, and even try to make a second story with stairs and balconies!" I laugh, already being able to see the wooden mansion she's made up in her mind. I have to admit, it sounds really cool, but I doubt we'll be able to make a second story on the fort without destroying the lower half. Sticks can only tolerate so much weight.

We continue working on our fort until it's finished, and I can't believe we actually made such a cool looking fort in just one day. It's fairly small, but just big enough for the both of us to be able to sit in it. Willow even swiped a piece of cardboard from a random neighbor to use as the door, and somehow found a way to make a stick go over it like a lock. We used Y shaped sticks so we could lay more sticks across to make a roof and covered the roof with leaves.

I sit inside our fort and peer out of the doorway that we've left open for now. "We rule at making forts," Willow says as she looks our little wooden house over excitedly. "We should bring Luke to see it sometime, even though he wouldn't fit inside," she says with a giggle. This makes me laugh. I try to imagine Luke's long body trying to squeeze into our tiny fort. Willow is right, he'd never fit.

"Cmon, there's more adventures to have!" She exclaims suddenly, jumping up and running out of the woods. I shake my head as I follow her, and she quickly climbs up a tree. "Cmon!" She shouts, looking down at me. It's not that high up, but the branch looks really thin. "Willow, come back down before you hurt yourself!" I shout, but she just laughs and bounces up and down. "Willow!" I scold. She rolls her eyes. "Oh cmon, you're no fun," she whines, starting to make her back to the trunk of the tree. I sigh in relief, but she grins as she runs back out. "Watch, I bet you can't do this!" She exclaims. She sits on the tree branch before flipping upside down and hanging by her legs, making monkey noises. She's a gymnast, so of course she'd try something like this. "Willow, seriously, get down!" I exclaim. She sighs, swinging back and forth to reach for the limb. Just as she's about to grab onto it with her hands and pull herself back up, the limb snaps, and Willow falls onto the rocks headfirst.

Everything after that seems to happen in slow motion. Luckily, a man walking by watches Willow fall. He rushes over and yells for someone to call 911. Meanwhile, I just stand there, frozen, replaying what has just happened in my mind.

By now a crowd of people has gathered, and they all watch worriedly as the man moves back once an ambulance arrives. I've had quite a few emergency experiences now that I think about it, which is weird since I'm only eleven.

A woman dressed in medical attire pushes me out of the way and I watch from a distance as they put Willow onto a stretcher and begin trying to help her. I'm startled when I feel a tap on my shoulder, but when I turn around I'm glad to see mum. I wrap my arms around her as the medical people continue to work on Willow. They're shocking her now, like they did to me in the hospital... Wait. What's going on? Why are they shocking her? My mind and heart begin to race and I can't make sense of the situation. It feels like a nightmare when I see a man bring out a body bag, and my heart literally shatters into a million pieces.

"Wait, what are you doing?" I exclaim, breaking away from mum. The emergency doctors look at me sadly. "No..." I whisper as mum pulls me back into her. A man takes the stretcher away as a woman asks me lots of questions about what happened. But I can't focus.

"I'm very sorry to inform you . . . "

I put my hands over my ears, but the woman keeps talking.

". . . Willow is dead."

A/N - Hey I pre-wrote this a while ago so here have fun!

Okay, when I said in one of the earlier chapters it wouldn't get much sadder, I hadn't planned this soz... Yeah keep reading? I PROMISE it won't get any worse this time, I swear. Xoxo - Em❤️