34 | A Change is a Gonna Come

"Willow, come on," I shout, but it's too late. She's already fallen from the tree and landed on the ground near a few rocks. I gasp and hurriedly run over to her, seeing her head is bleeding very badly. I look around desperately for something to try to stop the bleeding, but there's nothing and no one to be seen. "Someone help!" I shout, but there's no answer. I shake Willow, but don't get a response. "No, no, no." Suddenly, the paramedics are in front of me trying to save her, but it's too late. I look down and see her blood on my hands.

I sit bolt upright, panting and my heart racing. I rub my hands against my pajama pants until I realize that isn't blood on them. Because I was dreaming. It was just a dream. I rub my eyes and notice it's already morning, but also desperately trying to get that image out of my head.

It's been two weeks since the funeral, but mum has agreed to let me stay home a while longer. I'm just not ready to go back, not without her. In that case, I may not ever be ready to go back, but I'll have to eventually.

I sigh, getting out of bed and going downstairs to where mum is sitting on the couch. She looks up and smiles at me, but quickly frowns when she sees my face. I tried to hide it, but it didn't work very well. I sit down next her and she pulls me into her arms.

"Did you have another bad dream?" She asks gently. I nod into her chest and hear her sigh sadly. "Wanna talk about it?" I just shake my head, sitting up and leaning my head on her shoulder. Mum stares at me sadly, sipping her coffee.

"Hey. I've been thinking," she says, moving on the couch so she's facing me. "The boys are traveling around doing promo for their upcoming tour. Would you like to go with them?" My mouth drops, and I feel slightly excited. I love touring with the boys, it's so fun.

"Really?" I raise my eyebrows, and mum nods. "You can do your schooling online for now, and Luke and the boys are more than happy to have you again." I find myself smiling. It'll be nice to get away for awhile, even if that's what mum's intention is.

Before I know it, I'm all packed and waiting at the airport. Apparently the boys have a connecting flight that takes off from Australia, so I'll be joining them when land here. It seems odd, but I'm excited to be with them again. We had so much fun over the summer, and I hope we can still have fun now.

"Are you sure you'll be alright?" Mum asks for the millionth time. She's extremely overprotective, especially since the incident. I nod. "I wouldn't go if I wasn't fine mum. I love you," I say, giving her a hug before the boys emerge from their flight. She waves goodbye as I scurry over and wrap my arms around Luke. He lifts me up and sways me from side to side before handing me off to the other boys. They didn't come back for Willow's funeral since they were only going to interviews and stuff, so they managed for a few days without Luke. As I hug each of them they all whisper how sorry they are in my ear. It's weird. It doesn't even feel like she's gone. I keep expecting to get a text from her or have her call me or laugh as she prances into my house without warning. But she never does.

"Ready?" Luke asks once we've gotten through security and are waiting to board the plane. I smile up at him and nod. About fifteen minutes later, our flight is called and we board.

"We are we going first?" I ask Luke once we're settled in our seats. I'm sitting by the window next to Luke with Mikey on his other side, and Cal and Ashton are sitting behind us, fighting over the window seat.